Solved! Static damage to laptop?

Ariewok

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Hi,
So I was working on my laptop recently, after I was told from my local computer repair place that the DC jack needed to be replaced. After looking around online and figuring it out, I was able to get in and replace the piece, easily. But, after trying to turn the laptop on, it refuses to boot.

A couple weeks later, I'm browsing YouTube and see a video from a tech channel I like, explaining static damage. Knowing nothing about this stuff, I click on it and start learning... Then I realize, oh shoot! I was repairing the laptop on a carpet... crap.

Is static damage to the motherboard the reason it refuses to boot? And, is there a way to revert static damage?

Thanks.

Solution

I would suspect that something got disconnected during the jack repair.
Or, the jack repair went bad.

USAFRet

Illustrious
1. The not booting thing probably relates to the repair of the DC jack, not static electricity.

2. There is a small (tiny) possibility of the board being damaged. But I would put that far down the list.

3. No, you can't revert damage from static electricity.

So what happens, exactly, when you try to start up the laptop?

Ariewok

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Nothing... No fans, no drive spinning, just nothing. I'll get a quick video of it, and I can send it you. Glad to here its not likely static damage, because it would be a real drag if there wasn't a fix. Gimme 15 min and I'll record the bootup.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I would suspect that something got disconnected during the jack repair.
Or, the jack repair went bad.

Solution

Ariewok

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Ok, great to know. I can show you more in a bit, just some complications that I'm working on at the moment. For one, the palmrest refuses to come off because the headphone jack is sticking out too much, and I'm missing some screws in it, so I have to also run to the hardware store to pick some up. I just want to make sure I'm actually using the right screws so I can take care of it the best I can.

Should be able to get that done by tonight, we'll see though. Thanks for all the help.

Oh, and I think the piece that would be disconnected would be the cable from the power button to the motherboard. It connects kinda weirdly, and I'm not 100% sure how to get it to connect right, so I'll point that out once I can record it.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the jack was ordered directly from Dell.