Static noise in headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flask

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Greetings, for two days now, sometimes when playing a new video on youtube (possibly it's not just youtube, haven't noticed it anywhere else yet though), my headphones start to distort the video's sound and there's a lot of static noise, even when pausing the video or shutting down the browser completely. The static doesn't go away until I replug the headphone jack - no other way of getting rid of it.

The issue first occured when I plugged in another lowend headset that I've used before - simultaneously with the current headphones, so I could still have the superior sound - the old headset has a mic, which I wanted to use. Couldn't get the mic to work properly (it would pick up all sounds presented but my voice), so I just put it away. I've played some games for a few hours after that, everything worked fine, and then then the noise appeared when I opened the first youtube video.

The current headphones are plugged into the back of the PC, it has better sound.
The old headset was plugged in both front and back of the PC at various times when trying to get it to work. Only the red mic cable was ever plugged in, not the green headphone one.

I've tinkered with everything I could think of, no idea what's the cause. Anyone knows what might be going on?

Edit: When typing this, the noise appeared while opening a new Chrome tab, so it's not just youtube anymore. Sound is still fine in games or any non-Chrome related stuff.

May 15, 2018
Hello, I had been living with this problem for years, and thought it was simply because I was using an old 2009 iMac to run Windows. Turns out, I was wrong.

This can exist with anything, but is most often common with Dell and Realtek devices. So, let's get right into it.
In your menu bar right click and select "Playback Devices." From here, make sure your headphones are plugged in. Double click on the button that contains the speakers or headphones you want to fix. Once in this new windows click on the advanced tab, and in the "Exclusive" box, deselect "Give exclusive mode applications priority."

The second thing you can do is go through the frequencies until you find one that doesn't have static. (Usually the highest available one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.