Stay AWAY from eRightSoft's Super video converter FULL of Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
It use to be a really good freeware video converter but unless you have Malwarebytes Premium running or purchase the clean installer I would stay away from this Malware/PUP.

Solution
SUPER is a free conversion program available from ErightSoft Software. The results obtained from using it are notoriously poor, and so I don't recommend it on that basis alone...
Took that from https://club.myce.com/t/a-warning-for-those-who-might-use-the-conversion-program-super/297275

I have never heard of this conversion software until I saw your thread actually. Back when Windows XP was king, I used Prism video converter. I don't know if there's a 64-bit version of this software or not, or if it's compatible with Windows 10.

What I've seen people using is a program from DVDVideoSoft called Free Video Converter. It can be had as a stand alone application or as part of the Free Studio software.

Personally, I use Adobe Media...

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Okay. Just googled it.

Found that it comes bundled with malware called OpenCandy, describes by Microsoft as "Win32/OpenCandy is an adware program that may be bundled with certain third-party software installation programs. Some versions of this program may send user-specific information, including a unique machine code, operating system information, locale (country), and certain other information to a remote server without obtaining adequate user consent. These versions are detected by Microsoft’s anti-malware products."

Yeah, I'd stay away from it.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Install it and find out for yourself than you will have all the proof you need. Right on the download page where the link is it says "SUPER © setup file installer Totally free to download and install. Comes with various Bundle Offers, Toolbars, Addons. " Problem is you don't get a nice option to deselect the installation of all the crap it will install including a browser hijack.

It's really to bad because it was a really good converter IMO.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
SUPER is a free conversion program available from ErightSoft Software. The results obtained from using it are notoriously poor, and so I don't recommend it on that basis alone...
Took that from https://club.myce.com/t/a-warning-for-those-who-might-use-the-conversion-program-super/297275

I have never heard of this conversion software until I saw your thread actually. Back when Windows XP was king, I used Prism video converter. I don't know if there's a 64-bit version of this software or not, or if it's compatible with Windows 10.

What I've seen people using is a program from DVDVideoSoft called Free Video Converter. It can be had as a stand alone application or as part of the Free Studio software.

Personally, I use Adobe Media Encoder, but not everyone has the full Creative Suite 6 (or can afford it), so I can't say this is popular software among the average user.

Solution

randomizer

Distinguished
I used SUPER on a work PC once. Suffice to say that it set off all the alarm bells. It is useful because of its flexibility (it can read/write almost anything), but it really goes out of its way to shove junk down your throat. It also has the worst UI ever conceived for a desktop application. Given that H.264 is so ubiquitous these days the use cases for a "convert to anything" application are limited.

In short: give it a miss. A wide miss.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I liked that I could set Quality to High than set desired bitrate and resolution and get a really good quality MP4. Eg. compress a 1:30 hr movie to under 1Gig and still have pretty decent quality. Whereas other software I have tried you only have option of setting quality by % or target size like VSO ConvertXtoVideo but the quality never turns out nearly as good as setting say 25fps @ 1200kbps. Now of course it would be preferable to have h.265/HEVC however my Blu-Ray won't play that format so I am stuck with h.264 or AVC.

randomizer

Distinguished
You make it sound like that's a bad thing. x264 has a plethora of options to tweak output bitrate, file size, and quality, as well as encode time. It also has some coarse presets so that you don't necessarily need to understand the lower level options (and you won't want to unless you need to optimise to the nth degree). There are a number of GUI front ends for it, notably Handbrake and VidCoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.