Stealing, Pirating Assassin's Creed Costs Man $25K

Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]no good deed goes unpunished....[/citation]

Stealing a physical copy of a game at the manufacturing plant prior to the official launch is a good deed? I'd like to know what you consider a bad one.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Buying a copy, spending hours or days tweaking it for distribution is nice, but stealing the copy and simply uploading it isn't so great. That said, $25,000 for a $60 game seems excessive to say the least.

I for one am not against piracy as I believe that if the game is worth the money then the pirate will still buy it. I have been known to try out games without demos like this. That said, I also believe that if you truly enjoy a game, then buy it and support the developers*.

*Unless it is Activision, then pirate away.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Coming up from Ubisoft - Pirate's Creed!

(And with Ubisoft's latest DRM scheme, you decide who's the pirate...)

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
...what exactly is probation going to do?

Probation officer: Have you stolen anything this week?
Anzalone: No, I don't think so...
Probation officer: Ok then, see you next week.

Seems kind of pointless to me.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]backin5[/nom]Coming up from Ubisoft - Pirate's Creed!(And with Ubisoft's latest DRM scheme, you decide who's the pirate...)[/citation]
LOL

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Stupid that he got caught. Should have been smarter. I personally don't care whether people pirate or not, most of your money goes to the owners of the company, not the people who should actually receive the money, the developers. to agree with a previous poster, if the game is good, people will buy it anyways. As he also stated, unless its Activision, and I would like to add EA Games, and any other company who implements DRM that only allows you to install a game a certain amount of times. I bought the game, it should be mine to install as many times as I want!

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
How do you get software that is to expensive for your wallet, and you really need it??? I mean games are one thing if your parents can afford a computer to run the game, why not just buy the game and full features or w/e for $60? It's not fair for the developer. However some programs that cost 3.5K not even some parents can afford... I bet the developers of those proggys are all millionaires now anyways from the people who do buy it!!! Stealing from a warehouse is a totally different, it's like walking into a computer store and taking a cd off the shelf and walking out. The law is not really fair either, you can't charge a person $25,000 for a $50 dollar disc... If you develop a game on pirated soft, you should be only required to pay the software price and the rest is yours, and that is only if you make something off of it. Gawd people are so greedy these days, OMG, come on get real!!!

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I think you guys are missing the point of the $25k fine. The fine isn't that high because of the stealing, it's that high because he uploaded it for others to download which other people can steal it. Instead of going after all those other people, they'll just get the money from this guy since he was an enabler. Same kinda thing happens to drug dealers.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
"for stealing a copy of Assassin's Creed from the manufacturing plant and uploading it to the internet"
They are not charging him for the 50 dollar disc but for the "losses" he made the company suffer by uploading the game to the internet. They never charge people for the exact same amount they stole but for the damages they do by doing so.
It's similar to what in the States is called "psychological damage"(thats what most of suing are for)which in fact can not be measured but in this kind of cases they do a aprox. to the actual costs and then, CACHING! they get their money, or at least they get all the money from all the pirates from 1 pirate's pocket.
I feel sorry for the guy, being from where I'm from, the taxes take prices around 150% the actual cost, so piracy its a way of living more than a choice for most people. I hope he ends up fine.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah I guess it's fair. I'd never post a game for download even if I can hack it. The web is sorta a security door for companies, that is why they track the IPs of downloaders and uploaders. Hey man if you want to protect something that you took time to make take your time :)

G

If everyone who got a copy of the pirated version donated $1 each, then he'd be set!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]no good deed goes unpunished....[/citation]
That is a sell-out statement if I have ever heard one. Stealing and Pirating ISN'T a good deed.

Status
Not open for further replies.