Steam - "An error occurred while updating ()" on every game I try to install/update that pops up

Jlarkz

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I just got a new router and whenever I try to download that exact message pops up (with the game title)
The download starts, goes up to about 5 mbps for about thirty seconds and then stops with that message popping up.
I've deleted my steam folder, and tried everything I could find but nothing has worked..

Any suggestions?

Solution
It would help if you listed the brand of your new router, and its model number.

In any case if you can log into the router you should do a few simple checks.

1. See if the hardware firewall is enabled in the router, if it is set to high try setting it to medium. As a small note if the HW fire wall is on, then turn off any software based firewall protection on the computer it`s self, two fire walls can conflict and cause cut off of downloads ect or lag, speed limitation when downloading ok.
2. Check the conditions related to the firewall, options like IP flood protection can be turned off.
Some routers trigger a cut off of all internet downloading when IP flooding is triggered when enabled.
As it considers it as an attack from an...

Shaun o

Distinguished
It would help if you listed the brand of your new router, and its model number.

In any case if you can log into the router you should do a few simple checks.

1. See if the hardware firewall is enabled in the router, if it is set to high try setting it to medium. As a small note if the HW fire wall is on, then turn off any software based firewall protection on the computer it`s self, two fire walls can conflict and cause cut off of downloads ect or lag, speed limitation when downloading ok.
2. Check the conditions related to the firewall, options like IP flood protection can be turned off.
Some routers trigger a cut off of all internet downloading when IP flooding is triggered when enabled.
As it considers it as an attack from an outside source or from a Wan, in other words the update or download from the steam server ok.

3. Upnp should be ticked in the router options.
4. If you are using steam to download games, or updates, in the port forwarding section of the router menu set up the ports that steam uses for data transmission.

Here is a list of the ports steam uses.

Steam Client
This one :UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
This one :TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
UDP 4380

As you can see in the list there are ports that in some routers need to be set up to avoid the router cutting the download,or updates of mid downloading ect.

First in port forwarding, give the service a name for each set of UDP or TCP port ranges setup.
Steam 1
Steam 2 and so on.

It will ask you to enter an IP address of the machine running steam, the IP address the router gave your computer.
You can find this i your router under the connected devices section, where it lists the name of the computer and the IP address the router assigned it.

Next in the table will be the port address or range from and to to open or keep open. so 27014 to 27050 for game downloads or updates.
Last depending on your router us the protocol UDP or TCP, with some routers you have to set up a Tcp with the same port range required and duplicate it for UDP as well as an entry in port forwarding.
Other routers allow you to choose TCP/UPD, basically so you dont have to put loads of entries in port forward.

Right ho login to the router and have a look around.
It should solve the problem.
Let me know if it works ok for you after this guide ok.

Solution