Steam displaying wrong cores

Jan 1, 2014
Recently, my friend and I have noticed that on Steam (while in "Big Picture" mode) it is proposing that my CPU is 2 core, 4 thread. However this is impossible, due to the fact that we are both running FM2 motherboards, and AMD has no such hyperthreading technology. Is this a problem with Steam or are our computers messed up? I have an Athlon x4 750k and he has an a10-6800k. Both are running on the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboards. Thanks!

Solution
Valve may have decided to count modules as 'cores' and individual cores on each module as threads like many people on this forum also do due to cores on each module sharing L2$ and other resources. I do not agree with this definition (this is nowhere near core-level multi-threading as seen in Intel's HT/Phi, UltraSparc T-series, PPC, etc.) but that does not stop others from using it.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Valve may have decided to count modules as 'cores' and individual cores on each module as threads like many people on this forum also do due to cores on each module sharing L2$ and other resources. I do not agree with this definition (this is nowhere near core-level multi-threading as seen in Intel's HT/Phi, UltraSparc T-series, PPC, etc.) but that does not stop others from using it.

Solution