Stereo receiver (Onkyo TX 3000) generates popping and brief cutting out. Suggestions?

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
Hi, I've been a visitor to tom's Hardware over the years, but a first-time poster. BTW, thanks for lots of good info over those years. :)

Anyway, I have a "vintage" Onkyo TX 3000 that's suited my needs over the years. It suddenly started crackling, popping and briefly cutting out in the right speaker channel.

I think I've narrowed things down a bit. If I switch the speakers, the problem still occurs in the right speaker channel with the speakers reversed.

If I move the speakers from A speakers to B speakers, the problem occurs just the same.

If I move the receiver, that sometimes causes a cutting out or return of sound.

I suspect I'll be looking for a loose wire, or worse, inside the receiver, but I'm open to any easier things left to check...or just advice on what to check next.

Thanks - Gwen

UPDATE: I opened the receiver up and checked for the list of things makkem suggested. I couldn't find anything obviously out of place or damaged. Having moved the speaker connections around a few times (also cut off old ends and exposed fresh wire), it seems less consistent than I thought.

Currently, the most consistent thing is that the sound will cut out, sometimes with a pop, sometimes not. If I do nothing, the sound will cut back in after awhile.

There's nothing suddenly different about the way I'm connecting the wires - it's a post I wrap the wire around. The wires don't touch each other, and I've tried to confine the exposed wire to the area of each post.

I'd like to think it's a speaker wire thing, but this started suddenly, out of the blue, when I wasn't doing anything to the receiver.

Solution
Hi
The problem seems to lie with the right amplifier and could well be a loose wire.
When you open up the case also check any capacitors that you can see as it is an old unit and capacitors fail over time,check them for the tops being domed or for any sign of leakage,also check any fuses that you see are tight in their holders,if you can check the underside of the circuit boards look for dry joints on components,these will look like solder joints that have slightly separated from the copper track.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The problem seems to lie with the right amplifier and could well be a loose wire.
When you open up the case also check any capacitors that you can see as it is an old unit and capacitors fail over time,check them for the tops being domed or for any sign of leakage,also check any fuses that you see are tight in their holders,if you can check the underside of the circuit boards look for dry joints on components,these will look like solder joints that have slightly separated from the copper track.

Solution
Your receiver may have a relay which acts to protect the receiver. This is often in line with the speaker terminals. When the contacts in the relay age they become unreliable. With the receiver on and speakers connected and volume low you can tap the relay to see if it makes a difference. The relay sometimes can be opened and the contacts cleaned, other times it has to be replaced.
You can download the service manual here:
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/49731/Onkyo_TX3000.html

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
Not an answer, just an update - I got past makkem's things to look for. I'm now on americanaudiophile's idea of the relay switch. They are easy enough to find on the schematic, but it may be harder to identify and access in the receiver. The internal wiring from the speakers travels a ways and sinks into a spagetti tangle of wiring before even getting to any internal components. So I might be at this step for a bit.

Thanks, both of you for the things to check. I may have to eventually replace the unit, but I would need to convince myself this receiver is beyond a simple repair.

The relays look so obvious on the schematic, I just can't figure out where they are hiding on the board. It's crazy! In the meantime, it's working fine as a left-channel-only receiver. :na: