Stereo shutting off at high volume

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Well here it goes.shuts down after a point when it gets to crazy levels. So what I have is a Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver 525 watt (105w x5)
I HAD a practically new pair of Polk Monitor 70 series 2 Tower speakers which were rated at 275w, I sold them last week. I have a Bose center speaker which I’m not sure of the watts. I think its 200w but when I was having problems I disconnected the Bose.
So now I bought a pair of Klisph Reference Dual 8” Floor standing speakers 600w peak 150 w continuous and also a pair of Klisph Reference 5 ¼” Bookshelf speakers 340w peak 85w continuous for the rear/back of my living room. I bought 12 gauge copper wire and I also bought a 5” electric fan for the receiver which is in a stereo cabinet. (I cut the back out of the cabinet where the receiver is for air to escape. So now I’m thinking of adding a sub.(Heard that may also help with my issue, not sure though) will adding a sub help with my volume issue?

Solution

You never commented on my statement that the Klipsch are more efficient than the Polks and may be easier on your amp. You stopped the conversation at "too expensive" on the reference sub.

At "crazy levels" the low priced subs you listed in the previous thread may not survive either.

Your receiver is a 105W unit. Don't get fooled by the total for all channels. A 100WPC, $300 amp is not designed for "crazy levels" That unit was designed for home...

kanewolf

Judicious
I guess you didn't want to continue the conversation over in the FIRST thread you created on this exact subject.... BUT, if you set the receiver to "small" speakers (or something like that) it will not send bass to the speakers. You would then have to have a subwoofer to compensate. That may lessen the load on the receiver because bass frequency amplification has been moved to another amp (the sub).

But really you probably just have too small an amp for the volume levels you want.

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
The REASON i posted in receivers is because i thought when i posted in speakers it MAY have been in the wrong forum! Plus the answer i got the first time didn't answer my question. I think my receiver is plenty big since it's 525 watts. But hey, that's why i'm looking foe info.

kanewolf

Judicious

You never commented on my statement that the Klipsch are more efficient than the Polks and may be easier on your amp. You stopped the conversation at "too expensive" on the reference sub.

At "crazy levels" the low priced subs you listed in the previous thread may not survive either.

Your receiver is a 105W unit. Don't get fooled by the total for all channels. A 100WPC, $300 amp is not designed for "crazy levels" That unit was designed for home theater use which has generally lower volume levels except for explosions, etc. You should start looking at HIGH QUALITY (B&K, CARVER, etc) used amps on E-Bay which you can connect to the multi-channel output of the receiver to replace the integrated amps if you want to play very loudly for extended periods. High powered audio is expensive.

Solution

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

kanewolf

Judicious

No, those were some examples of almost bulletproof amps. Look at this B&K AMP that is for sale on E-Bay. That amount of mass and cooling is just for two channels at 140WPC. That is what a REAL power amp looks like. That is the kind of hardware you need for sustained "crazy" loud audio.

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Ok.
So my system isn't being used for movies or whatnot. Just music. I am going g to buy that klisph sub that you referred to but just not yet. Anyway I was going to install rear speakers also. Should I do this for music only?

Woolysworld

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016