Steve Jobs on Support for iPhone 2G: ''Sorry, No.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Typical Apple but, honestly, how many people are still using the original iPhone? At some point in time you have to cut ties with older hardware because the older hardware is holding back software development on the newer hardware. Microsoft did this with Xbox Live and the original Xbox a couple of months ago. There are obviously vast differences when comparing a console and a mobile phone but the concept still applies. Most companies phase out software updates of older products but Apple is the quickest about it.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I can understand the need to phase out older hardware, but 3 years seems a little premature to me, especially since these people shelled out for unsubsidized phones.

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Another example of why Apple is a terrible company...[/citation]
Because they don't support old hardware? Hardware that can be replaced with much newer variations for relatively little money? Do you see HTC providing a Windows Phone 7 update for the Hermes?

Seriously, stop whining. In the cellular phone market, it's remarkable to see consistent support and updates for as long as 3 years.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JMS3096[/nom]Because they don't support old hardware? Hardware that can be replaced with much newer variations for relatively little money? Do you see HTC providing a Windows Phone 7 update for the Hermes?Seriously, stop whining. In the cellular phone market, it's remarkable to see consistent support and updates for as long as 3 years.[/citation]

You still see HTC providing updates to the older Windows Mobile OS, that is the difference.

Now go away.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Actually, what's being lost in all of this is that Steve Jobs actually took the time to respond to someone asking a question.

For someone as famous as he, not to mention he's the CEO of an important company and is likely very busy, to at least respond is pretty impressive, and very unusual.

I can't run Windows NT derivatives on my original PC, or even PC/AT! I don't think my Pentium has enough memory either. My i815 based Tualatin can't cut it either, since the chipset doesn't support more than 512 MB of memory.

It's how things are. Apple designed the original iPhone to do what it did at that time. They didn't have the time, and probably wouldn't have had a competitive product if they made it do what they want today (it would have been even more expensive, even if it were possible). So, they probably have the choice of either limiting what their OS could do, or letting go of old hardware support so they could do what they really want. If I were an Apple customer, I'd want the latter.

I'm not an Apple fan (I only have antique Apples), but, I'm impressed Jobs actually responded, however terse, and I don't think Apple is necessarily doing their customers a disservice by choosing progression over compatibility in this case.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Truth of the matter is that supporting 3 year tech holds back all the tech that uses their software. Since you have to program for the weakest link. At some point their going to have to cut old stuff loose.

This will lead to better apps that take advantage of newer hardware. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
3 years for a phone is honestly an eternity for a cell phone. Which would be why most carriers offer discounted/free cell phone upgrades at 18/24 months. For apple to kill MAJOR upgrades for a 3 year old product is hardly unreasonable. Beyond that they will obviously support it on the stability level, but that's it.

Products have a life span people. For upgrades and support. Or perhaps I'm wrong and I should follow the advice of some of ya'll and whine about having no major upgrades for win95 >.>

So what this all comes down to is:
Want new features and etc? Upgrade. Plain and simple. Apple is a company, and the 2g isn't putting money in their wallets nor food in their family's mouth.

Funny how some consumers want so much for free.. >.> So please, take a few classes on economics and in the words of my "Hero of the Day":

[citation][nom]JMS3096[/nom]Seriously, stop whining.[/citation]

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JMS3096[/nom]Because they don't support old hardware? Hardware that can be replaced with much newer variations for relatively little money? Do you see HTC providing a Windows Phone 7 update for the Hermes?Seriously, stop whining. In the cellular phone market, it's remarkable to see consistent support and updates for as long as 3 years.[/citation]

I disagree, I think it should be the same as the PC arena. why do people insist that smartphones are so different from PCs? they sure cost a hell of alot. I know it mightn't look like they do, with them being subsidized by your mobile contract, but they do! I think stuff like this, and charging ipod touch owners for a "new" os every year is lousy.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I disagree, I think it should be the same as the PC arena. why do people insist that smartphones are so different from PCs? they sure cost a hell of alot. I know it mightn't look like they do, with them being subsidized by your mobile contract, but they do! I think stuff like this, and charging ipod touch owners for a "new" os every year is lousy.[/citation]

Absolutely! Treat smartphones like pc's. And microwaves and modern cars too, since they have "computers" in them too. Yeah! Major upgrades and overhauls for everything! My solar-powered calculator too!

Negative. PC's are a completely different product, regardless if they use software with the same basic origins. Cell phones have a life span. Sneaky Snake had a really good point I missed. Supporting old tech after a while will slow progress on better spec'd hardware because of compatibility issues. Sorry, a cell phone is not, or ever will be the same as a PC due to a phones mobile nature. Their purposes and design are completely different. They do the same things with laptops. Mobile devices are only designed to last so long!

Wait..scratch that.. They COULD prolly design them to last forever! Enjoy the rediculously inflated price tag if they do.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I disagree, I think it should be the same as the PC arena. why do people insist that smartphones are so different from PCs? they sure cost a hell of alot. I know it mightn't look like they do, with them being subsidized by your mobile contract, but they do! I think stuff like this, and charging ipod touch owners for a "new" os every year is lousy.[/citation]

Wait, let me get this straight. Apple releases iPhone OS 2.0 and 3.0 since the original iPhone launch. BOTH were free upgrades. And you want it to be like the desktop world? If that's the case, 2.0 and 3.0 would have been a paid upgrade. Win Vista and Win 7 were both paid upgrades.

Apple GAVE AWAY two operating system point increases for COMPLETELY FREE and you actually think it is unfair that after this, they aren't offering OS 4.0 to first gen customers?

G

I wonder if you can just copy the frameworks from 4.0 over to a jailbroken device... that and change some version strings.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]Wait, let me get this straight. Apple releases iPhone OS 2.0 and 3.0 since the original iPhone launch. BOTH were free upgrades. And you want it to be like the desktop world? If that's the case, 2.0 and 3.0 would have been a paid upgrade. Win Vista and Win 7 were both paid upgrades.Apple GAVE AWAY two operating system point increases for COMPLETELY FREE and you actually think it is unfair that after this, they aren't offering OS 4.0 to first gen customers?[/citation]

Right? Lol. Don't forget that the basis of all of his theory is flawed to boot. Eventually, even PC's become outdated, and unable to work with new software and technology. Which leads to another major difference between PC's and mobile tech..

Try to buy a new "video card" for your phone. Or cpu. Or anything for that matter. Everything mobile is designed to die. Hell.. Even cars are designed and built with a 7 to 11 year "buy a new one" thought process.

Eventually, the company will need more money. And when they do, it has to come from somewhere, and diverting manpower from backwards compatibility projects and into new technology IS more profitable. Which is what companies ARE for.

alsdjkf...(etc) Maybe. Prolly can.. But apple doesn't want to, and i don't blame them.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
"Jobs sold his soul for the cure to cancer"

Seriously IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY THERE IS A CURE TO EVERYTHING!

I'm not one to defend this man but I bet he is well connected!

I guess you could compare Steve to Magic Johnson who seems SUPER HEALTHY despite having HIV......he will live to the normal age of death.....must be NICE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.