straight talk on verizon phones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelPam

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
I want to buy a new cell phone with a larger screen I also wanted to be able to have this new phone on straight talk with Verizon towers. Is that possible? And which phone do I have a choice of?

Solution
Currently Straight Talk only provides service for 3G based Vz phones. If you want LTE/4G Vz service, then you are currently out of luck.

Prior to July 17, 2014, Vz 4G/LTE was completely a post-paid program. In July, Vz provided 4G/LTE to its prepaid "ALLSET" service. I have seen rumors that Vz will provide 4G/LTE service later this fall. I am currently using ATT through Straight Talk, and while the service is good on the road, around my house, it is very poor.

So, bottom line, if you want Vz 4G/LTE service through Straight Talk, you are currently out of luck. If you have a non 4G/LTE phone (i.e. Vz phone without a SIM) then Straight Talk may work.

Hopefully, Vz 4G/LTE will be available in a couple of months......

rgd1101

Don't

They won't unlock it because it not your. Pay it off first.

Barorot

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Ok i paid it off and got it to work. Thanks. Do you know if straight talk works with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? I paid it off with my phone

DazKnite

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi! I was in Walmart the other day and I saw that Verizon has the HTC desire 526 as a prepaid phone. I was wondering could I buy that phone and get it activated with straight talk? After all It is a Verizon CDMA compatible phone.

muttmeat

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

All Verizon "world" phones are equipped with a SIM slot for limited GSM support. They are also carrier unlocked.
Quoting from Wikipedia
"Straight Talk is a Mobile Virtual Network operator (MVNO) offering both CDMA and GSM support. The CDMA network uses Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT wireless networks and the GSM side makes use of either T-Mobile's or AT&T's GSM networks."
Why misinform?
I researched this in 20 minutes and I am dyslexic!

Diane69

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015
Will a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V 16GB Verizon + GSM Unlocked
Phone work on the straight talks byop program or am I better off on getting an At&T gsm unlocked samsung galaxy s5 phone due to not having the serial number for the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V 16GB Verizon + GSM Unlocked phone bc I wanted to find the serial number for the phone to see if its even compatible with straight tlks byop.if anyone knos pls let me know straight talk representatives dont seem to kno shit.

cb1986

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

tdungan13

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

where did you get the apn access code? i bought the activation kit for my galaxy s6 verizon phone, it works on straighttalk, but i think my data settings need changed. I can do some things but some mms messages don't send or receive. I do have internet and straighttalk says that if you can send pics to yourself, then everything is right. I have used my own phone with this service for years and every phone has needed apn settings changed. Thanks Td

dawgrit

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
For anyone wondering. I bought a used verizon note 4 on ebay from a regular person. ($250. MINT IN BOX AND ALL! Lucky.) unlocked. Bought the Straight talk lte activation kit. Called costomer service. They set it up. Works on lte verizon towers like a charm. 45 month. So yes, unlocked verizon note 4 works on ST perfect.

dawgrit

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Trying to find out what verizon (all must be unlocked out of contract) phones work on Straight Talk with LTE CDMA kit. (Easily, no buying APN or extras. Just simply works) I post this because as of this date, if I google, "Verizon phones that work on straight talk byop" this is the best blog I get. PLEASE POST ANY PHONE YOU KNOW OF THAT WORK WITH NO PROBLEM FOR AN EVERYDAY PERSON. ALSO..... phones you know don't work. I'll start. Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 DOES work. Verizon LG G Vista does NOT work.

Loretta_4

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

It is a samsung galaxy s 3 can i get att service or another one

dawgrit

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I just successfully converted a Verizon Nexus 6 to Straight talk. It works on Verizon towers for straight talk perfectly. I got the imei numbers of the lg g3, lg g4, and lg V10 from the Verizon store, and they all checked out on the Straight Talk bring your own phone verification page. If you are getting a phone, check to see if they have it at a dealer, and get the imei to check on ST. If the lg g3 works for verizon, it should work for ATT also (not %100 sure). It would be on ATT GSM network through Straight talk. Straight talk converts both GSM and CDMA. Just make sure you get the right sim card from ST. And yes, the phone you have must be unlocked. And no, not all phone models work, so make sure you can use an imei to test on straight talk network. Or know someone who has done it. I have converted verizon galaxy note 4 and nexus 6 (verizon). I checked out possitive the imei for, g3, g4, v10 (verizon). *You can find the phone's imei in the settings menu. It's also usually under the phones back cover and on the packaging box, but you won't get those if you walk in the store. Good luck and if you check out any imei's that clear through the Straight talk BYOP checker, post the carrier and phone model here so we know.

dawgrit

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Also if you do get an imei and it go's through good on the ST BYOP checker. Call ST costumer service (I know, they're horrible) and have them run the imei to double check. I read a blog a while back where a guy ran one that checked out good on the ST Web site but customer service said it didn't check out with them.

Mike_Z28

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I just recently bought a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 (person to person) and, although straighttalk said it wasn't compatible, I was able to activate the VZW simcard using the IMEI from my Galaxy S4. Straighttalk's techs have no idea what they are talking about. As long as your phone is unlocked (and in most cases, even if it isn't, so long as you use a carrier matched sim) it will work with straighttalk, you just might have to work around their system of ignorance.

Rimaye

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

My phone is paid off and I also have the note 5 through Verizon what do I have to do to get straight talk to work?

Dlmiller

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

After a lot of research I have now successfully switched 4 phones to straight talk.

Currently anything beyond an S4 may not work as the Sim cards needed for the S5 and S6 for Verizon tower access are not compatible with straight talk.

I purchased (through Walmart Online) 4 refurbished Verizon S4 I545. along with the bring your own phone Sim kit. All phones are running on Verizon towers.

I have been extremely pleased as this phone also has the 2gb ram needed for my uses.

Andrew_181

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

How did you get your galaxy s6 to work with straight talk

Status
Not open for further replies.