straight talk on verizon phones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelPam

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
I want to buy a new cell phone with a larger screen I also wanted to be able to have this new phone on straight talk with Verizon towers. Is that possible? And which phone do I have a choice of?

Solution
Currently Straight Talk only provides service for 3G based Vz phones. If you want LTE/4G Vz service, then you are currently out of luck.

Prior to July 17, 2014, Vz 4G/LTE was completely a post-paid program. In July, Vz provided 4G/LTE to its prepaid "ALLSET" service. I have seen rumors that Vz will provide 4G/LTE service later this fall. I am currently using ATT through Straight Talk, and while the service is good on the road, around my house, it is very poor.

So, bottom line, if you want Vz 4G/LTE service through Straight Talk, you are currently out of luck. If you have a non 4G/LTE phone (i.e. Vz phone without a SIM) then Straight Talk may work.

Hopefully, Vz 4G/LTE will be available in a couple of months......

Lizsilk

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Lizsilk

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I wish I had known that before paying $850 for my new I phone6 I got straight talk and some weird service plan that gave me NO service in my home.. Or other areas I visited.
Is there a way I can get Verizon on by getting a technician or something???

jerryyvonne

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

jerryyvonne

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I just went through buying the straight talk kit with the 3 SIM cards , So thought everything would go smoothly but in the end after hours & hours I had to take the kit back to Wallmart and have the inside card scratched off and scanned and also a electronics employee had to get on phone with them to explain if they scanned the card it would recharge me so , in the end I was given a refund then bought a 45. $ card and between straight talk and employee my service finally was started!!! First time I've ever had any problem with straight talk, But there needs to be a way that bthey can tell you although kit is scanned when buying after choosing right SIM card it still needs to be scanned . It was. Very painful ordeal, that took a long amount of hours, but I hope you do not have to go this far . Wish you well.

Nicole_33

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

When you get the BYOP kit from Walmart they have sim cards for all the major networks (Sprint, Tmobile, Verizon, At&T) included in the kit. So you can get a phone from any of those carriers and just use the sim card for whichever carrier you get.

supergman84

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

This is completely false. Straight talk for many years has had both at&t/t-mobile service or Verizon. You just buy the SIM card from them for the carrier you want to use and make sure the phone is from that carrier or unlocked. All Verizon iPhones are sim unlocked so they can be used on any network.

mcbeaver0508

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

Somthings not right there, on a
Vw galaxy note 5 right now, thru st, did u buy the SIM kit at walmart?

jessicalee986

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Funny..... I'm reading posts saying you cannot. Which in reality yes you can. That's exactly what I've done for years with straight talk. There's a few ways that I've accomplished this. And to the people who remarked "you can't do this"....do a little more research before you answer someone's question. At this time I am someone who is using what this person is asking about and I've done it for years. But to your question, you can buy a verizon phone and use it thru straight talk. I've bought phone's directly from the Verizon Stores in the past etc. The other way is if you got to Wal-Mart and you scroll thru the phones they have in the store in straight talk section look for little codes on the boxes. For example, if you want one to go thru service with Verizon towers (which where I live the only service I can get easily I'd thru the Verizon towers cuz I live in the sticks hence why I ALWAYS choose Verizon towers with the phones I use) look for the "V" on the box. Since I've found out how to do this I've always chosen to use Verizon towers with my straight talk service. Yes it can be done. I'm telling you it can be because that's what I do. Remember also tho, still double check the phone you do get just to make sure that specific phone will work. I'm a phone junkie and I will say not once yet have I got stumped. The day will come I'm sure lol good luck

2002zinda

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017

You are wrong, straight talk uses several carriers depending on where you live. You could be on Verizon almost anywhere but they will try to put people on other networks if possible, meaning they could use T-Mobile, AT&T or Verizon, which means you will use a GSM Phone for AT&T and T-Mobile, while Verizon uses CDMA phones, I was able to use any of my Verizon phones on straight talk by simply moving my sim card from the original straight talk starter phone and I had service on my Verizon phones without doing anything more, no need to contact straight talk. I just used Verizon APNs that were on the phone and actually had better service than the ones provided through straight talk. In fact I have been copying my APNs on to my new straight talk phones to keep a better connection with faster speeds and never have a problem. I haven't chose to connect with the straight talk "HOME" APN since but my phone has automatically switched to it and I had no service!

Mar 21, 2018

Mar 21, 2018
@Polar Bear: I have a question for you since your the tech guy, would I be able to use a samsung galaxy s7 from straight talk to use to VW? Please let me know. Thank you.

Oct 7, 2018

Oct 7, 2018
Barorot, can you please let me know how you got the iPhone to work on straight talk. I have a 7+ and I’m moving to an area where Verizon has iffy service but my granddaughter has smart talk and has great service. I want to keep iPhone for FaceTime capability. But want a decent bill with decent service. Can you or anyone help me

Status
Not open for further replies.