Straight talk phones that run off of verizon towers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DSherrill

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
When I got my husband's Straight Talk at Wal Mart the Sales Associate pointed out to me that it says on the boxes of the different phones which use AT&T and which use Verizon. His phone looks like a BlackBerry, but it is made by Samsung. Between the 2 of us, changing to Straight Talk from Verizon saves us $90.00 a month and we get 1000 more minutes and text messages than we did before. Also when he is driving in rural areas, which he has to do for his job, he has the same coverage he had when we were on Verizon.

kimmiek682012

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Yes some straight talk phones do! I have an LG and it runs off verizon. All the straight talk phones I have had run off verizon. Not sure how it works, but they run off a few diffrent ones.

metromanjp

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

mohnton7

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

gregsgal

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Hello all,
I have three Verizon phones that I switched two months ago to straight talk. Samsung galaxy s4, iPhone 5s and htc one m8. You use the at&t SIM card and change the apn settings in the phone. Required apn settings are on straight talks web site, hope this helps.

hhaylee

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

Every straight talk phone I've had runs off verzion towers go to Walmart they'll tell u which does

masterchiefyhs3

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Billie9853 ur an idiot, Google this straight talk does not run on verizon towers, i have looked into it, straight talk misleads and there smart for doing so when verizon is one of the top competitors in the cellular industry, but they do lie, they run off at&t/t-mobile network, as those are the only two providers who require sim cards to run on there phones and who also cover gsm which is sim card based only....

Juan HungDong

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014

Juan HungDong

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I've owned samsung/ Verizon phones for years! Every phone I've had has had a SIM card. ...The note, note 2 note 3 and others before I began using the notes! Unfortunately, when Verizon decided a 10 year customer had no right to demand a better service package, like new customers were offered, I dropped them !!!

ldplace

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

ldplace

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
Straight talk now offers a 4g lte phone on verizons network. And yes it is a sim card phone. If you dont mind being on jellybean OS. Its the ZTE Rapido 932C. Decent phone imo. 1.2 dual core processor , 8 mega pixel camera. Screen resolution is decent, 4.5 in screen. At some wal mart stores $179, decent phone for people that want good speed reliable signal and a 45$ 3 gig of data. For us working people that cant afford a $600 phone or want the string attached by contracts! Other straight talk verizon phones are due to be released soon on verizon network keep your eyes open!

Crystal Peron

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

Yes. Depending on the phone you buy it could be AT&T towers or Verizon Towers. I have a LG Optimus logic that runs off ATT towers it works great in Boise. I have had it for two years. My friend went and bought the LG optimus Dynamic thinking it was the same phone, however it was not. The Dynamic runs off verizon towers he had terrible signal and later returned it. On the bottom of the phone packages they will display either CDMA V that is a phone that runs of verizon towers or CDMA A for AT&T towers. I also noticed that the Galaxy III runs off verizon towers and the Galaxy S4 is AT&T.

Kyle Learn

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

so how did u get them set up? i have a htc one right now and i do use a 4g sim card. i read somewhere the newer Verizon phones come unlocked. Then walmart told me it needs unlocked but the straight talk website said i was compatible and didnt need a sim card, all i needed was to get was the network access code and the service plan card. Then i called straight talk and they said i need to get a sim card. mdkfsdlgj what am i doing wrong? it shouldn't be this difficult

cwilliams43127

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
I just switched my S4 to straight talk from Verizon. I did not get it unlocked. I just called straight talks bring your own phone department. Paid for an access code. They sent me a new micro sim card I put it in and it activated with my same number. The s4 is still running off Verizon towers with 4G. However after 3GB of data usage it will drop to 3G speeds. I am still in a contract under Verizon. I'll just pay the fee when they send it both phones are 85 bucks a month with Auto refill. compared to 150.00 plus taxes fees and all that other BS and that was with a 20percent discount.

johnwhan

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015

I just bought a ZTE Rapido from Walmart yesterday. The Walmart employee called Straighttalk and requested that my ATT number be ported to the new phone. I was advised that my ATT phone would stop working within an hour and at that point my new phone would be working on the Verizon 4g LTE system.

4 hours later my ATT phone still worked and my new phone did not. I called straighttalk and spoke with two different people who were very difficult to understand. I was advised that there was an error in their system that required them to cancel my sim card therefore due to their procedures they were required to wait 25 hours before they could attempt to try the porting again. ATT already received the port request and shut my cell phone off with them within minutes of this call. At this point i had no functioning cellphone.

Oh, i should have mentioned that i purchased my wife the same exact phone at the same time and it did not function after 4 hours either. During my call to them i was advised that the sim card was ok and that the port request was sent, HOWEVER, there was an error in the system that would cause a delay but that the phone would be activated at 8pm EST.

At 9pm EST I called Straighttalk back and let them know that the phone was still not activated. After speaking to two different people again i was advised 45 miinutes later that there was no one there who could help me fix the problem and that it would be 24 hours before they could expidite my request to activate the phone.

So to answer your question. Apparently none. At least not where I live.

TRENDING THREADS