Strange lock up

Racerboy7648

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I just recently finished my first PC build (specs below) and while just trying to run a few programs or games my computer just locks up and the screen freezes in place then I have to reset and boot up again, All temperatures are normal and I have tried disabling antivirus, It did help but the problem but it just seems to never be consistent changing which program is prone to this strange "bug". All of my drivers have been updated.
CPU: AMD FX quad core 4350 4.2ghz no boost
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 650ti Boost
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: Gskill Ripjaw series 4gb (2x2gb)
PSU: Raidmax RX 730-SS (I know of all the hate raidmax receives and I do not have the money to buy another PSU because people hate radimax not everyone has bad luck with their PSU's)
Thank you in advance

Are you using an SSD or HDD as your boot drive? When I first built my computer I had problems with the machine locking up and more BSODs than I care to remember. I had an Intel SSD connected to a Marvell controller but after looking and finding a solution here at Tom's Hardware I changed it to an Intel controller and the freezes and BSODs disappeared. I'm not saying this is your problem but it may be worth a look. From what I have read this could also be a problem with SATA HDDs as well (wrong controller that is). If this is not the issue please let me know and I will see if I can help you find a solution. You could try something like memetest86 to see if there is a problem with the RAM.