Strange problem with Dell laptop

papatuzz

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron N5030. It has a single 2GB stick of ram. Windows 7 64 bit. That's it really. Just a basic store bought Dell laptop. One of my customers brought it to me along with another laptop. I fixed the other one and when I told her the problems I was having with this one and potential costs, she said to keep it. She didn't care about it. So I put it on the shelf for several months and now that I have some time, I pulled it out.

The only way to get it to boot...actually to have any power at all...is to remove and replace the CMOS Battery. Once you do that it will boot up and run normally. You can click on 'restart' and it will shut down and boot back up like it's supposed to. Once you shut it down, not only will it not start, but it gets no power at all. The power light will not light up when it's plugged in after a shut down. There's no power. If you remove the CMOS Battery and replace it, then it's back to normal until you shut it down. The regular battery is no good, so I'm just using the a/c plug.

I have tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds without the plug in and with the plug in. But like I said, once you shut down, the power light goes out as if it's not plugged in. I have tried reflowing the motherboard but that did nothing. The CMOS Battery is fine. I've tested it with my voltage meter. I tried a different one just for the heck of it and nothing changed. Also, sometimes after it boots up, some of the icons are missing from the taskbar. There are gaps in between the icons.

The right click button under the touchpad doesn't work either, but I think that's a separate problem.

I just shut it down again and after shutdown the HDD light goes off and then immediately the power light goes out also. I pressed the power button, but nothing happened. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but still no power. I unplugged the adapter from the wall outlet until the small light on the power brick went out and then plugged it back in but still nothing. The only way to get it to boot, is to remove the CMOS Battery.

I Googled this problem and found someone that had a similar problem but he also had something going on with his monitor. I thought about taking a CMOS Battery that has wires and soldering the wires to the metal tabs on this one but I don't think that will make a difference. At this point I'm at a loss. Am I looking at a bad motherboard? I know it's not a 'dead' motherboard because it does boot if you R&R the battery. But there may be something wrong with it.

Any ideas? There may be more I tried already but it's getting late and I'm getting tired so I'm not thinking straight anymore. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I'd almost guarantee this is either an issue with the power jack or the power jack circuit. It could also be a corrupt BIOS. Since the only thing removing the CMOS battery does is reset the BIOS, and on laptops, the charge state, it really has to be one of those things. Is the bad battery still installed or is it removed from the unit entirely? If the system has detected a short inside the battery it may note that and not allow a reboot unless the CMOS battery is cycled, or the battery is replaced with a good unit, removing the restriction.

I'd try it with a good battery if you have access to one, or try reflashing the BIOS, preferably to a more current version if one is available. If none of that works I'd replace the power jack...
I'd almost guarantee this is either an issue with the power jack or the power jack circuit. It could also be a corrupt BIOS. Since the only thing removing the CMOS battery does is reset the BIOS, and on laptops, the charge state, it really has to be one of those things. Is the bad battery still installed or is it removed from the unit entirely? If the system has detected a short inside the battery it may note that and not allow a reboot unless the CMOS battery is cycled, or the battery is replaced with a good unit, removing the restriction.

I'd try it with a good battery if you have access to one, or try reflashing the BIOS, preferably to a more current version if one is available. If none of that works I'd replace the power jack assembly.

Just for giggles, you might try a different memory module too. I know it doesn't seem like that could be related but I've seen a LOT of memory modules with issues that were intermittent, but would not present on warm reboots, only on a cold boot.

Solution

papatuzz

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Thank you for your response darkbreeze. I actually tried a different memory module and also a new battery. They didn't change anything. The CMOS battery holder was a tiny bit loose at first. I was able to wiggle it a very very tiny bit before I did the reflow of the motherboard. After the reflow it didn't move at all. I'm worried about that, but your idea about the power jack is making me wonder about that since after a shutdown there is no power to the laptop at all until I remove and replace the battery. I'm going to try flashing the BIOS and if that doesn't work, I'll order a power jack and give that a shot. I'm leaning towards the power jack. I had another laptop that had a power jack issue but the symptoms were different. I'm thinking that's what it needs. I'll get back to you. Thanks again.

papatuzz

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I reflashed the BIOS. There wasn't a newer one available. It didn't change anything. The battery holds a minimal charge but will not start the laptop. I unplug the laptop and all 3 lights go out. The power adapter light, the HDD light and the battery light. When I plug the cord back in, the battery light turns on but will not power up the laptop. The power light doesn't come on. I found them for less than $5 on eBay. I'll give that a shot. Since the battery light comes on the motherboard knows power is getting to it, but since the power light doesn't turn on I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head with the power jack being the culprit. I'll let you know what happens after the jack gets here and I get it installed. Thanks again for you help.

papatuzz

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Hi darkbreeze, I know it's been a long time but I got very busy. It was very difficult getting the old power jack off the laptop but putting the new one on wasn't so bad. It works!!! I wanted you to know you were right on and I would never have figured it out without your help. Thanks a million.