Strange startup of HP pavilion dv6

paraparaumumike

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Beeps when turned on and displays "F1 ...System Information" at lower left of screen. If left for a moment or two it then displays the said information at the upper left with the option to press ESC to continue. Pressing ESC then loads Windows 7. I have noticed that when typing that using the left Shift key and C does not enter anything whereas its fine using the right shift key. Other keys and left shift appear to work ok not that I have checked them all.

hang-the-9

Titan
Reset the BIOS to defaults, also try to unplug the keyboard and use an external one, see if that helps. The fact that you have a funny issue with a key or two shows that the system may be reading a key press, either bad keyboard or connection on the motherboard.

paraparaumumike

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Stuck key was my first thought but I can't find any. Also cleaned everywhere possible with compressed air. CMOS is keeping time etc just fine and the latest BIOS is already installed.

paraparaumumike

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Have reset BIOS, run bootrec.exe to FixMBR and FixBoot and problem persists. I have ordered a replacement keyboard and will see if that solves the problem. Will advise when installed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop General Discussion 3
2 Laptop General Discussion 0
R Laptop General Discussion 0
T Laptop General Discussion 3
TemorKahn Laptop General Discussion 0
gravisriders Laptop General Discussion 0
G Laptop General Discussion 1
I Laptop General Discussion 3
8 Laptop General Discussion 5
P Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 1