streaming from a NAS without using a computer

yycwrangler

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hello Everyone

I do not have a desktop but have two laptops in the house. I also have an Apple TV 2 which I used to have connected to my desktop, before the desktop died and we purchased 2 laptops. I'm going to setup a NAS and I want to know if there is any way to stream directly from a NAS hard drive to a unit such as Apple TV, roku etc. So the movies will be stored on my NAS and I will have no computer connected to the system. I don't really want to have to pull out one of the laptops each time I want to watch something stored on my NAS drive

Cheers
Al

Solution
AppleTV and Roku are computer in tinny boxes. I know AppleTV3 can't because it's locked but I hear AppleTV2, when properly configured can. Roku don't have one but I have a feeling yes. BUT predicate what streaming service is running on the NAS, so what are they? consult the manual. If it runs DLNA, I feel good. Am not a fan of DLNA but something is better than nothing I suppose.
AppleTV and Roku are computer in tinny boxes. I know AppleTV3 can't because it's locked but I hear AppleTV2, when properly configured can. Roku don't have one but I have a feeling yes. BUT predicate what streaming service is running on the NAS, so what are they? consult the manual. If it runs DLNA, I feel good. Am not a fan of DLNA but something is better than nothing I suppose.

Solution