Streaming Real Time Internet Video to an HDTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eyendall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Hello,
I am really confused. What I want to do is ditch my cable provider and depend upon streaming video (movies, tv channels whatever) directly from the internet to my hdtv via (presumably) my iMac. I have a wireless network and want to do this wirelessly. I have googled relentlessly and can't get a simple clear answer how to do it. Is it even possible? If so, what additional hardware do I need? I bought a Samsung HDTV which supposedly has wifi capacity; likewise a Sony BlueRay disk player. Also an Apple TV. Clearly "wifi enabled" and "internet ready" advertising claims are highly misleading. I hard disks via the Apple TV, but want I want is real-time streaming off the internet. I thought this combination would give me what I want but presumably not. Is there a combination of software and hardware which will allow me to do this. Does the Xbox come close? Thanks.

randy marshole

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015

What I gather you want to do is start a video on your PC/MAC web browser and have it stream to you TV, I know how to do this.
First of all the only why I know how to do this is with windows 8/8.1, So what you have to do is
1) connect your smart TV to your router either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and make sure you TV is left on.
2) boot up windows 8.1 on your PC
3) connect windows to your router
4) move mouse to the right corner to bring up charms select settings cog
5) click change PC settings
6) click devices
7) click add device and select your smart TV
now that your TV is recognised by Windows you will not have to do these steps again.

Every time you want to stream web video you will need to do these steps.
1) open the modern Internet Explorer app (note: doesn't work with the desktop app)
2) go to you video you want to play and pause,
3) bring up charms bar (mouse right corner) and click devices,
4) a list should come up- "Play", "Print", "Project" click play,
5) you should see "This PC" and "TV", click TV
your web video should now start playing on your TV via DLNA.

indytraveler2001

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
What I gather you want to do is start a video on your PC/MAC web browser and have it stream to you TV, I know how to do this.
First of all the only why I know how to do this is with windows 8/8.1, So what you have to do is
1) connect your smart TV to your router either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and make sure you TV is left on.
2) boot up windows 8.1 on your PC
3) connect windows to your router
4) move mouse to the right corner to bring up charms select settings cog
5) click change PC settings
6) click devices
7) click add device and select your smart TV
now that your TV is recognised by Windows you will not have to do these steps again.

Every time you want to stream web video you will need to do these steps.
1) open the modern Internet Explorer app (note: doesn't work with the desktop app)
2) go to you video you want to play and pause,
3) bring up charms bar (mouse right corner) and click devices,
4) a list should come up- "Play", "Print", "Project" click play,
5) you should see "This PC" and "TV", click TV
your web video should now start playing on your TV via DLNA.

I was able to complete these steps, but when the web stream was trying to connect, the TV flashed about 5 times that the media format was not supported before it defaulted back to live tv.