Student Sues Amazon: Kindle Ate Homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I'd be pretty upset if that happened to me, but I don't think it's worth suing over.

Hopefully it doesn't get dismissed as frivolous and goes somewhere, because I have a feeling it'll end up pretty important in establishing consumer rights over digital content.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
This is one of the few cases in which I believe a lawsuit is warranted. Amazon stepped well over the bounds of what is right and they should have to pay. Their bullshit apology will not make amends for their theft from their customers.

This is just another action that will push people away from purchasing digital products and into using P2P to get them for free.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
"We appreciate Amazon.com's new found contrition, but words are not enough," explained Jay Edelson, the lead attorney for the class action. "Amazon.com had no more right to hack into peoples Kindles than its customers have the right to hack into Amazons bank account to recover a mistaken overpayment."

Excellent.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I think that suing over losing some "electronic notes" is just another stupid lawsuit. However, I do agree that Amazon was out of line and needs to be rightfully punished.

anti-greed

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
GREED!!! Another case of people and lawyer trying to make quick big money. These students probably learnt from their parent; all these bad and evil personality are passing down to the next generation. Why would people even want to have kids if their can't teach them properly!!!

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
Wait, a lawsuit for people actually having rights to the media they purchase?! What a new concept! If this manages to go through, I hope this can act as some kind of precedent for future media-rights cases. Who'd have thought that the humble and yet overpriced Kindle had so much potential?

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Doesn't anyone find it funny that it was Orwell's 1984 stored on a interconnected media system was deleted by "Big Brother"?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
has no one read the terms of service for kindle? it states they can revoke access to books at any time.

why is everyone all of the sudden surprised that they're not really owners of anything but the physical hardware in these cases, and sometimes not even that. the majority of the time, you're merely licensing the products under agreement that they can change it at any time they wish, generally through updates. because people can't be bothered to read EULAs or follow them or believe that they don't have to adhere to agreements they blindly checked off on is a bit retarded...

if anything, people should be complaining about the validity of these End User Licensing Agreements and the extent to the control manufactures and software developers have on products after their "sale" to consumers...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
the issue of "licensing" rather than "ownership" has been around for way longer than the kindle and ebooks... these challenges over which a consumer actually buys into should be where all the focus should be. trying to use the excuse that you didn't know that they could do things after the fact is too lame to take seriously...

G

Man they could not have picked a more appropriate book to delete, 1984.

Talk about fate lol.

I hope amazon gets reamed in the courts over this. This is the 2nd time now they have done this(2nd book that ive heard of).

This is a VERY bad precedent to set, it needs to be nipped in the bud right NOW.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]This is why you get old fashioned books. They can't be mysteriously "deleted."[/citation]
Also, paper is a renewable resource. Silicon, yes, but not as easily done.

Amusing how the green people go all crazy about stuff that can grow back and not about how we are becoming more and more depend on (for the most part) nonrenewable resources, such as silicon.

Anyway, while the kid doesn't have any rightful argument due to his signing of their EULA what amazon did was still wrong. Though suing them isn't the best answer..

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bk420[/nom]welcome to america....[/citation]
Make money at any cost....it's the American way.

G

The problem is that Amazon were removing content that had been illegally sold to american users... illegally, as in America the seller did not have the legal right to sell the product.
Therefore, the purchaser of the ebooks were "buying" essentially "stolen" products, and have no more right to the product than I would if I had bought a stolen car.
Additionally, as has been pointed out, you do not buy the ebook, but merely pay for a license to access the content of the ebook, and as such Amazon and the rights owners could remove anything they wanted as long as it was within the terms of the license agreement. An interesting point here is that a license was not sold to the ebook, as Amazon had no right to do that, and so no license agreement was in force, and as such the purchaser had not agreed that Amazon could remove that particular ebook (unless of course there was something extra in the Kindle EULA along the lines of "Amazon reserves the right to delete whatever we want").
The only reason this turned out to be a problem for Americans is that the copyright ownership laws in America are very much in favour of the producer... they have ownership for a LOT longer than over here in Europe (it's only 30 years in the UK). Personally I think 30 years is long enough to recoup enough income from the effort needed to produce something. Think of it this way, if a mechanic fixes a car, should he be expected to receive income from that for the next 100 years, or to put it another way, if a singer in 1940 had a single hit should they expect to keep getting an income on that recording even now even though they got paid reasonably for that single days recording ???

Status
Not open for further replies.