Students Help Crash NASA Satellite Into Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
How am I not surprised since they can deffere staffing costs by using students. Its a shame that many of us don't get hired for jobs that we spend tens of thousands of our own dollars to train for. Better than what the US military did with one of it's satellites that has 22lbs of plutonium that burned up on re-entry. No one talks about the weaponized satellites that are operated by the US and Russia.

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
They make it sound like their giving up their whole lives working 20 hours a week haha. Thats like 2.5 hours a day lol.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]NeeKo[/nom]20 hours a week?? You got to be kidding me.[/citation]
[citation][nom]pangedit[/nom]They make it sound like their giving up their whole lives working 20 hours a week haha. Thats like 2.5 hours a day lol.[/citation]

I think it's on top of their full class schedule.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I think it's on top of their full class schedule.[/citation]
It better be! haha
After they finish school they probably make 30hr/s a week?

haha j/k

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]NeeKo[/nom]20 hours a week?? You got to be kidding me.[/citation]

That's quite a lot for an undergrad student. I only manage to work 8 hrs with my schedule.

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Wait a SECOND!! The BARENTS SEA?!

That is Russian land or very near to it right? I remember hearing this in Russian articles all the time " Missile test at s-300 at Barents" "admiral Kirov in the Barents today" "kashtan system tested in the Barents".

Couldn't the Russians have mistaken that for a nuke or something?

Oh well. What did you do today at college? "I crashed a satellite"

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]That's quite a lot for an undergrad student. I only manage to work 8 hrs with my schedule.[/citation]
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]That's quite a lot for an undergrad student. I only manage to work 8 hrs with my schedule.[/citation]
8 hrs? Must be nice. Try being in the military and going to school. =P

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"Better than what the US military did with one of it's satellites that has 22lbs of plutonium that burned up on re-entry. No one talks about the weaponized satellites that are operated by the US and Russia."

and this is one of the reasons why i vote to cut nasa funding. stop wasting oxygen these stupid machines can gather some minute data still if you crashed them into the sun instead of trying to kill baby seals :D take that PETA lovers :p (think i'm going to write to PETA and give them a more realistic cause to fight about hahahahaa)

seriously, when they try to do this stupid wasteful manuever with the international space station, i'm going to protest it with congratulations on nasa helping to destory the earth, the ozone, and blah blah blah kill fish or baby seal, since a butterfly flapping it's wings in china causes hurricane katrina's the INS crashing into the earth causes the ozone to be destroyed blah blah blah... billions spent on these things and they want to waste them, crash the damned things into mars to look for water instead of making a special 30 billion dollar satellite to crash instead , f'n retards at nasa, i swear, they wouldn't have to spend so damn much money if they'd quit wasting it like this.

as for the air force releasing plutonium into the atmosphere i think all cancer patients should sure the air force now, i think micheal douglas would have a pretty good shot at it with his sudden throat cancer over this summer. long shot, but i don't care, i knew nothing about it, but if more people were aware of the plan before they did it, the damned thing should have been deep sixed in the sun to mix with the radiation already there. this just makes me want to dump my used motor oil next to the water wells for cities since nobody cares. i might just have to tell excel energy to just rocket their used plutonium up into the atmosphere to burn up since it's obviously not a big deal, and the air force can get away with it, so they should be able to also.

i'm not an enviroMENTAList, but this is about as smart as peeing in your drink before you drink it. presidents were supposed to be the best and the brightest, nasa is supposed to be the brightest and best of the best and brightest, either that was a straight out lie, or grading on a curve has further destroyed the american education system. the damned machines are already malfunctioning and they want to risk killing some one because they think it's safe to crash stuff into the earth and they have no clue as to why the things quit working right.

NASA EMPLOYEES: " my brake light is on, the engine light is on, i think i'll drive my car to work past the schools and while buses are bringing kids to school today "

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

yeah but you get to do something as awesome as control real satellites. I don't think anybody would persevere through a summer training and test battery if they weren't into it. I'd sign up in a heartbeat if my university offered something this cool.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]Yes but, can they crash windows?[/citation]

For some reason reading those first few words make me see this:

"Yes but, can they play Crysis"

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted that yet (yes I know now that I mentioned it someone will say it xD)

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Odd. I work 20+ hours a week and I'm taking 20 credits as an undergrad.

I know someone else who is working 55 hours and taking 12 (bare minimum though for full time student). Yeah, they barely sleep though.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron686[/nom]For some reason reading those first few words make me see this:"Yes but, can they play Crysis"I'm surprised someone hasn't posted that yet (yes I know now that I mentioned it someone will say it xD)[/citation]

They shouldn't; I believe bans have been threatened for this before.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]"Better than..."[/citation]

Obvious troll is obvious? Do a little research before you start ranting nonsense.

In response to the article and hours worked...

I went to school fulltime (at least 30hrs/week) and still managed to hold a 40/hr a week job. You have literally 6-7 hours of personal time a week but we do what we have to do.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
my first thought reading the headline was "Students handling a potentially disastrous event?" But after reading the details about their extensive training and experience helping control 5 satellites in the past 7 years, i think they did a very excellent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.