Studio Lighting newborn

meldiver

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
I have a Canon 50D DSLR and 1 x Studio Light. I'd like to know what settings to have the studio lights on (settings on there are 1/8 to 1) and what settings to put in manual mode on my camera to photograph a newborn baby with a white background?

Solution
Agreed, unless you are going for a sleeping photo, babies are always unpredictable so you will be taking many shots to get that one perfect one, and if the baby is awake, the flash will make things worst.

If possible, do you have a softbox, or anything that you can use as a softbox for your continuous light? also, do you have anything that can be used as a bounce board to fill in any shadows. (A cheap method that I like are foam boards (many hardware stores will sell them in their insulation sections for cheap, and they work really well, and cost around $5-6 for 5 large panels)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Agreed, unless you are going for a sleeping photo, babies are always unpredictable so you will be taking many shots to get that one perfect one, and if the baby is awake, the flash will make things worst.

If possible, do you have a softbox, or anything that you can use as a softbox for your continuous light? also, do you have anything that can be used as a bounce board to fill in any shadows. (A cheap method that I like are foam boards (many hardware stores will sell them in their insulation sections for cheap, and they work really well, and cost around $5-6 for 5 large panels)

Solution