Studio Monitor repeatedly blowing a fuse

tokidoki

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi guys,
I'm having this issue with one of my Tannoy Reveals Active.
One speaker blew a fuse yesterday morning when I turned it on.
Same set up for 2 years, I figured the fuse had just run it's course.
I replaced with the exact same fuse, a T2AL250V and it blew immediately.
I removed the audio cable and moved the speaker to a different power socket, tried a new fuse, same thing happened.
I opened the speaker up, I'm not an expert in there at all, but everything looks the same as the other speaker inside and there's no smell of burning or anything.
I'm all out of ideas. I bought the speakers on ebay two years ago, so warranty isn't an option I don't think (I've emailed the seller just now)
The set up is an Avid Mbox from my PC connected to the speakers via Mogami 1/4" to XLR cables. The power cables are standard IEC cables. Never had any issue of this sort before.

Any ideas, much appreciated guys.
Thanks,
Christopher

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Almost certainly a problem with the inbuilt amplifier.
Check that there are no shorts on the wires connecting the amplifier to the speakers
Try disconnecting the wires from the amplifier to the speakers then try powering up the amplifier with a good fuse,if it blows then it is an amplifier problem if it does not blow then there could be an internal short on one of the speakers.

tokidoki

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi, thanks for that. I disconnected the speaker wires and inserted a new fuse, same thing happened.
I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't know enough to know what might be wrong with the internal amplifier.
Any thoughts, much appreciated!
Christopher

makkem

Distinguished
Could be a problem with any number of components on the board.
Most likely would be the output transistors or one of the crossover components.
You could try having a close look at the board to see if there are any signs of heating,note that the power transistors will be attached to a heatsink and so may be difficult to inspect.
Probably your best bet would be to take it to a technician with test equipment to sort it out.