Study: 20% of Android Apps Expose Private Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The fault is of Google for not properly supervising the Android marketplace, and then of the customer for not reading the damn EULA before installing unknown software.

skeetercus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
In other news, Windows computers are boring and every one of them comes with millions of viruses pre-installed. I swear, I saw it in a commercial made my Apple, a completely independent third party company with no vested interest in portraying Windows PCs in a negative light.

Seriously, this is now like the 20th website I've seen this same "report" (read: advertisement). Its from a company that makes anti-malware software for android (among other OS's). Of course they are going to say that android apps are all malware. How long does it really take to realize this? It amazes me to see people discussing this like its a legitimate report.

G

Jane,

I'm with the Google Communications team. This report does not signal any security issues in Android. It falsely suggests that Android users don’t have control over which apps access their data. Not only must each Android app gets users’ permission to access sensitive information, but developers must also go through billing background checks to confirm their real identities, and we will disable any apps that are found to be malicious.

I would appreciate it if you would update your article. You will also probably be curious to note the changes that have been made to the CNET article you cite.

Jay Nancarrow
Google Communications

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks Jane!!!

I guess.... there is no smartphone that is safe.. unless we stay with the one that nobody use it...lol

Though some common sense definitively help.. but to be honest.. quite a few app did do a good job to make us believe it is real... like the famous Bank of America app for Android...

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ekeefe41[/nom]Rain maker makes rain...Much better analist of the situation.http://www.informationweek.com/new [...] d_IWK_NewsIt amazes me how every 1/2 assed online tech writer just repeats the crap they read somewhere else.[/citation]

hmm... thanks for providing the story from another side (google).

However, just like I do not believe everything Apple said... I do not believe 100% what Google says too.

Just like the article you have point out... even the author said

"The doubling of malware and spyware in the last six months is significant," he said. "

No matter it is 1 out of five or not... the danger is definitively there.

People just need to stay on the common sense more and well.. download and pray...:p

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Why give the stats to Android and then later mention Apple w/o giving their stats? Sounds bias here...[/citation]

Remember ... Apple has a "big brother" there... "nobody are suppose to steal your information.... unless is from me!!"...;)

lol

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
At first I though this was going to be something about spyware and such but its info that every android user knows since when you install an app it tells you what parts of the OS it has access to and what it will be able to do! Wave secure can send "hidden" text messages, does that make it malware? Umm no, its one of the best android security apps out there!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I had a Droid, but when its calling people that are on my friend's contact list on the same plan...and every simple game I install has access to things like my contact list...I start to take issue. I'm sorry but its Verizon or Google's fault, but that phone I can tell you has some major issues with security.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Lol. Let's see the same study done on the AppStore... oh wait, no one has the balls to do that... they'd have a law suit faster than they could say Frozen Yogurt.

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Boh,
I think this is still nice compared to Facebook or even Apple (with their new "auto-proclamed" right to pick-up and share info on where you are using your Eye-Phone (big brother?)...

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Amazing though how a "report" about a security risk is being brushed away by some apparent Droid fans. Apparently Apple fanboys are beaten into submission and don't use this opportunity to bash Android. At the same time all this defensive attitude is fun to watch too. (Now if it would read "Apple" instead of Android ... )

Repeat or not, it's something to be aware of on probably every system, but the magnitude should make people think about where they place their trust. I've been thinking this many times, what if a "developer" decides to snoop out your online banking data and what else sensitive you're doing on your phone ... .

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]I had a Droid, but when its calling people that are on my friend's contact list on the same plan...and every simple game I install has access to things like my contact list...I start to take issue. I'm sorry but its Verizon or Google's fault, but that phone I can tell you has some major issues with security.[/citation]
just watch what apps you download... read what there accessing before u install. this happens on all mobile apps. google is just the first to actually warn you what there accessing

Status
Not open for further replies.