Study: Chinese Cyber-Threat is 'Rudimentary'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Soo.... 1st it is "OMG ph33r!"

Then it is "There is no threat"

This usually means the threat is so great, it needs to be obfuscated from the public outlook, because nothing can be done about it.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Ultimately, the study concludes that China's cyber-warfare capabilities will remain inferior to those of rival governments for "probably several decades"

Probably one of the DUMBEST things I've read in a while. We are still talking about the same Chinese who surfaced a submarine in the midst of a US flotilla and surprised the crap out of us? These are the same Chinese who manufacture all our electronics (including routers/switches) ?

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe the reason they get "caught" or fingered as the source of attacks so often is because they are bad at it?

Next headline:
"Australian National University hacked by suspected Chinese hackers"

[citation][nom]These are the same Chinese who manufacture all our electronics (including routers/switches) ?[/citation]

Manufacture not design. If the US and Japan pulled our manufacturing out of China and placed them in another country. The factories and equipment left behind in China would quickly become obsolete and so would the tech they would try to produce.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Funny thing, that claim that China will be behind us for several decades. I just read a book published in 2010 that they were catching up with us so quickly that by the end of THIS decade, we're going to be behind them in finances, computer technology, and robotics. They have twice the number of jets that we do, and while they are inferior, they can be made into UAV's and could beat ours by simple numbers. It's scary stuff going on.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom][citation][nom]These are the same Chinese who manufacture all our electronics (including routers/switches) ?[/citation]Manufacture not design. If the US and Japan pulled our manufacturing out of China and placed them in another country. The factories and equipment left behind in China would quickly become obsolete and so would the tech they would try to produce.[/citation]

We could probably debate this ad nauseam, however I believe it would be naive of us to think they don't know how to reverse engineer our stuff and improve upon it. Simply playing the numbers game you know that out of 1.4B people there has to be quite a substantial portion (even 1% of 1.4B is a big number) that is intelligent and that is being heavily educated.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If I were to try to hack a network, I would intentionally deploy some fake threats that would divert the attention from my main weapons while the enemy is petting itself on the back for the good job it's done...
But, I'm sure that is not the case, because the masters of strategy from far east (or elsewhere) never thought of that...
Dumbest thing I've read so far today.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Funny thing, that claim that China will be behind us for several decades. I just read a book published in 2010 that they were catching up with us so quickly that by the end of THIS decade, we're going to be behind them in finances, computer technology, and robotics. They have twice the number of jets that we do, and while they are inferior, they can be made into UAV's and could beat ours by simple numbers. It's scary stuff going on.[/citation]

I think it is true that if they continue on their current course they will be the No 1. in a decade barring some sort of political upheval. However I don't quite see why it is scary, the British were eclipsed by the US as a superpower at the turn of the century, but they still live very confortable, fulfilling, happy lives. Germany is the 4th largest economy on earth, but their standard of living is quite the same as the US. The same can be said of Australians, Canadians..

If you're worried about Chinese aggression, I think 2000 years of history on their part has shown that they are not the expansionist bunch. Even when the Chinese empire was the global superpower and produced most of the world's output.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Manufacture not design. If the US and Japan pulled our manufacturing out of China and placed them in another country. The factories and equipment left behind in China would quickly become obsolete and so would the tech they would try to produce.[/citation]We could probably debate this ad nauseam, however I believe it would be naive of us to think they don't know how to reverse engineer our stuff and improve upon it. Simply playing the numbers game you know that out of 1.4B people there has to be quite a substantial portion (even 1% of 1.4B is a big number) that is intelligent and that is being heavily educated.[/citation]

The more people innovating the better for everybody right? If someone in France creates a drug to cure cancer, Americans with Cancer in California will benefit right? When we invented the internet, didnt the entire world benefit?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hopiamani[/nom]I think it is true that if they continue on their current course they will be the No 1. in a decade barring some sort of political upheval. However I don't quite see why it is scary, the British were eclipsed by the US as a superpower at the turn of the century, but they still live very confortable, fulfilling, happy lives. Germany is the 4th largest economy on earth, but their standard of living is quite the same as the US. The same can be said of Australians, Canadians..If you're worried about Chinese aggression, I think 2000 years of history on their part has shown that they are not the expansionist bunch. Even when the Chinese empire was the global superpower and produced most of the world's output.[/citation]

I think it's a fear of america's 'epeen' being damaged.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
[citation][nom]hopiamani[/nom] When we invented the internet, didnt the entire world benefit?[/citation]

You mean when Al Gore invented the internet, right?

brothermist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Uh, are we forgetting that the only reason we are even clinging to the little bit of financial certainty we have left as a whole, and the sole reason we didnt face total economic collapse, is because an "inferior" China loaned us ass loads of money? China has been at the nation game for about 8,000 years, and going strong... We, the "superior" ones, are bankrupt and hated by most of the planet after just a bit over 200 years. As far as war goes, China wrote the book, literally. Its just unbelievably arrogant and foolish of us to think that if they did indeed have plans of US domination that it would be simple and transparent. The days of global domination by brute force are gone. Globalization has created that fact. In reality global domination can be achieved by simply controlling the money, and it isnt China, or any one nation that controls that. The whole world can sit around measuring the size of their governmental penis... but until we all realize that it isnt what governmental system you call best, what invisible man in the sky you believe in, or what color your epidermis happens to be, until we all realize how insignificant and petty it all is we are destined to repeat all the failures of our species past. The reality is that what landmass you call home is entirely irrelevant, its bigger than that, the Earth is our home. We need to get on the ball as a species and get over the petty crap before we get evicted. Just my opinion. Begin your thumbs down and flames.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation]We could probably debate this ad nauseam, however I believe it would be naive of us to think they don't know how to reverse engineer our stuff and improve upon it. Simply playing the numbers game you know that out of 1.4B people there has to be quite a substantial portion (even 1% of 1.4B is a big number) that is intelligent and that is being heavily educated.[/citation]

China already has more scientist than there are people living in the USA. They also lifted more people out of poverty in the last twenty years alone than there are people in the USA, while the USA has increased its numbers of people in poverty. That's something to think about.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't buy that they are so far behind. I think the biggest advantage the US may have is the language barrier of native Chinese hackers getting software translated and working on US systems. Unless the Chinese can speak machine language and create their own, they will be forced to use non native tools.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
If I remember correctly from my Networking Security 101 class, the #1 weapon a hacker uses to infiltrate a system is thru social warfare. In other words, duping someone to give up their passwords, user name, info to figure out their passwords, not change default passwords etc etc....

So, we pretty much bring it on ourselves thru ignorance... err I mean, the noobs do >_>

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]If I remember correctly from my Networking Security 101 class, the #1 weapon a hacker uses to infiltrate a system is thru social warfare. In other words, duping someone to give up their passwords, user name, info to figure out their passwords, not change default passwords etc etc....So, we pretty much bring it on ourselves thru ignorance... err I mean, the noobs do >_>[/citation]

Or dropping off a disc in a somewhat visible location entitled "Company Salaries" or something similar that will pique the employee's curiosity. The ways a person can be duped are simply never-ending.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hopiamani[/nom]If you're worried about Chinese aggression, I think 2000 years of history on their part has shown that they are not the expansionist bunch. Even when the Chinese empire was the global superpower and produced most of the world's output.[/citation]

I have to agree there, they historically have appeared aggressive it seem to be more of the defensive and a negotiation tactic style aggression rather than real threats. As long as their government don't get backed into a corner i think they wont be the first aggressors.

Status
Not open for further replies.