Study: Playing Video Games Promotes Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereopsis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
"It was not clear what exactly triggered greater creativity in games, however, and researchers said that game designers should "identify the aspects of video game activity" that nurtures creativity."

This +1.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Any G-Modder will definitely know what this article is about.
Just look at the thousands of Gmod video's on Youtube.. From Rubberfruit and others etc..

G

Wasn't there a study about gamers being morons?
/confused

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
MSU said that they used the Torrance Test of Creativity-Figural to assess the creativity of kids. The suite includes tasks such as drawing a picture from a curved shape, giving the picture a title and then writing a story about it.

LOL, I'd SO fail that no matter how many games I play! :lol:

It was not clear what exactly triggered greater creativity in games

Clear for me, though. Virtual reality where you are free to experiment! Isn't that kind of obvious? Experiment ground always promotes creativity :)

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
while girls liked games "involving interaction with others"

What a very vague group of games that is. Could be pretty much any game on the market.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
WWHHHHAAAA????

You mean games aren't evil and worthless??? NO WAI

... no shit sherlock. It's been proven that playing games stimulates the mind countless times more than just sitting in front of the tv doing nothing.

G

It doesn't matter, gamers are too busy playing to be creative anyways...

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
finally, science proves that video games are good for creativity. take that annoying parents-and-teachers-of-kids-who-play-too-much-fps-and-talk-trash-yet-can-write-stories-and-draw-pictures!

G

Did they do some magical science-y stuff to make sure that it is a cause, rather than correlation? ie: creative people like video games rather than video games make people creative.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
More useless studies. Next they will study if people who play Farmville are more likely to plant a garden or if they give up after a day when it takes more than 2 hours to grow a tomato.

fomoz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dribblesbarbax[/nom]while girls liked games "involving interaction with others"What a very vague group of games that is. Could be pretty much any game on the market.[/citation]
Sims

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]dribblesbarbax[/nom]while girls liked games "involving interaction with others"What a very vague group of games that is. Could be pretty much any game on the market.[/citation]
probably not interaction with a gun! hahaha

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]LOL, I'd SO fail that no matter how many games I play! Clear for me, though. Virtual reality where you are free to experiment! Isn't that kind of obvious? Experiment ground always promotes creativity[/citation]
I agree. That hasn't always been my forte, either. Unless I had to come up with a story that didn't have to make sense to entertain some kids, b/c then I could just say whatever random funny thing that came to mind.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
No need to be a scientist to come to that conclusion, many games promote creative thinking by rewarding it but there have been a decline there lately since more and more company markets their games by cool edited videos and flashy screen shots rather than actual content!

Drazz

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
So can we still blame video games when some kid goes on a rampage? What if he goes on a creative rampage?

Status
Not open for further replies.