Study: Teachers Instill Fear of Math in Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
While it's an interesting study, it's not fair to say that boys are completely immune. The study only focused on female teachers, so it could be that boys are more susceptible to the math anxiety of male teachers.

I have to agree, Jane. I hate it when they rush off to the press with half a study. Besides, there are other factors to consider since children are exposed to gender based stereotypes before they even start school.

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
i was always top of my class in math, i really didnt see a difference between male and female teachers, and if ur not too confident about ur math ability, u shudnt b teaching it in the first place.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]xaira[/nom]i was always top of my class in math, i really didnt see a difference between male and female teachers, and if ur not too confident about ur math ability, u shudnt b teaching it in the first place.[/citation]

Could you say the same about writing/grammar classes?

G

Yawn...more of the same. Teachers are too blame...my child isn't stupid, she just needs you to stop scaring her.

I have an idea...let's stop wasting money on useless studies and let researchers work on something important for a change (maybe they'll find a cure for something, given that we're cureless since the Polio vaccine).

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ScrewUselessResearch[/nom]Yawn...more of the same. Teachers are too blame...my child isn't stupid, she just needs you to stop scaring her.I have an idea...let's stop wasting money on useless studies and let researchers work on something important for a change (maybe they'll find a cure for something, given that we're cureless since the Polio vaccine).[/citation]
You haven't heard?

There is no money to be made in cures. Don't hold your breath. Any dealer can tell you the cheese is made on the comeback.

Math was hard for me but, even I understand those numbers

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I used to have a teacher named bj kinney and he was the most badass teacher ever. By the way kinney if your reading this you know who this is.OH yeah heres another hint vanporchmonkey.

plattyaj

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The problem I have with this study is quite a simple one. Why would the kids in the class relate any anxiousness with the teaching with the teacher's sex ... they wouldn't. I just don't buy it.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
[citation][nom]xaira[/nom]i was always top of my class in math, i really didnt see a difference between male and female teachers, and if ur not too confident about ur math ability, u shudnt b teaching it in the first place.[/citation]

Sometimes it's hard to see what's below you when your head is in the clouds.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Some girls have overcome their fears.[/citation]
You know, I know what they are saying, I understand it and have for years, but it's so hard to focus and pick up the actual lesson with them teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.