Solved! Stupid me - bought a phone off craigslist (Galaxy SJ7)(I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k10hill

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
Took the phone to my provider to activate it and learned it is 'blocked'. Off course, now I can't reach the seller........ someone told me it can be 'un-blcked' . Is this true? He said there are jailbreaking webisites that do it or can do it my self somehow... Is this true?
The phone was master reset and can't be used at all right now because it wants to sync with a previous google account :( I had just lost a new phone and can't afford to get another now that I bought this one... anything I can do to use this phone?

k10hill

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

=======================
From what I've gathered, carriers can Block (also heard it called Brick) a phone through its "emai/emei/eiei-io#" lol, i don't remember what the number is called but something similar. Major carriers started a shared database of phone's id#'s that were: a) reported stolen (this way thieves have no incentive to steal them since they are dead to all carriers); or b) were used with an account that is not in good standing (to encourage people to pay their bills if they want to use their phone again) and/or to C) to kill a leased device that was not fully paid for and was not returned.

The phone I bought has not been reported stolen so my guess is the guy just didn't pay his bill....

Status
Not open for further replies.