stupid question

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ok i just gt my GA-8PE667 based P4 2.4 Ghz computer today

and i was wanting to get the latest drivers for the motherboard (as you would)

so i go to
www.giga-byte.com

and find my board then go to the drivers section

it has a list of boards and links to the drivers for them mine was second down on the list

i click on the links to the drivers ****but then it gives me options of which to get****

why don't they just give them all to you so a newbie like me can just download the drivers that the board uses

i got confused and looked in my setiings where all the drivers are kept and seemed to find more resent drivers on my computer than on the website???????

i am really confused and don't know what to get

could someone please tell me what to do or how to do it.

if the driver it links me to says its for a product called (not exact things but similar)655x and the one on my computer says 6543(and there is none for 654x) does that mean my driver is not on the net

i am sooo confused and just want to download them properly so i can get on with my life.

WingDing

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
If there are no problems with your board then getting updated BIOS or drivers shouldn't be a priority. The ones that came with your motherboard should be fine.

:eek: Remember it's only a crime if you're caught :eek:

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I disagree.
You always want to get the latest drivers for a new motherboard. The current drivers may be months old and there are new ones out so the motherboard plays well with Windows, especially XP. The opinion seems to be that if you build a new system install only the harware needed to load Windows and get on-line (motherboard, video card, hard drive, and NIC or modem). Once Window is set up go on-line and get latest drivers for the MB. Also check the BIOS update to see is anything has been 'fixed' that will apply to you. After updating the MB drivers (and BIOS if needed)continue installing other hardware - cdr, sound card, etc.

Maybe not so important with the BIOS, unless there is a definite compatability problem with Windows or a piece of installed hardware. Flashing the BIOS can be dangerous if you are not positivily sure you have the right update. So, the BIOS only if you have to.

And then, and I know I will get some flack about this, go on-line and get all the updates to the OS (service packs). Then load any programs you want installed.

I think the main thing here is to do all you can so your kids get along with the Gate's kids.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I think you would want to get the chipset drivers and the USB drivers Get the LAN drivers if you are using the on-board NIC, and audio drivers if you are using on-board sound. If you are going to use RAID or serial ATA get those also.

I checked the BIOS update and there doesn't seem to be any fixs that I am guessing you will need. Don't play with the BIOS if it ain't broke.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

WingDing

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Check the message.

I said it shouldn't be a <b>priority</b>. Updating his drivers or BIOS should not stop him 'getting on with his life'. By all means keep them up to date, but I don't see what the panic is.

:eek: Remember it's only a crime if you're caught :eek:

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
alltaken, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528