Solved! Subwofer Loud Humming (Evo 8)

Dec 23, 2018
Hi,

please if someone could help. I have this subwoofer:

https://tangent-audio.com/products/19-subwoofer/77-tangent-evo-e8-sub-white/

It was great for years but now when the song is playing deep and loud bass my subwoofer stucks and humms very loud even when I turn of the music... So all I can do is turn the sub Off and then On again, and it will play normally until the next strong bass in the song.

I tried different AV receiver no help, so it's the subwoofer problem.

I've changed biggest 2 capacitors from the subwoofer's amplifier and it was more resistant after it, but still stucks after some time...

I tried to connect only the subwoofer's speaker directly to AV receiver and it works... So it's not the speaker itself.

So obviously the problem is in the sub's amplifier but for me everything looks ok and I don't know what to do.

Is there anything I could do except to change every single resistor and see if it works?

I hope that maybe some expert here could give me some directions considering the simptoms of the problem.

Thanks a lot!!! :)

John

Solution
I think you are on the right track wit hthe capacitors ... but not the resistors.

Also, have you tidied up the power cables near the sub ... to minimise power line hum from other devices ... move the power cables.

If it has a power cable that pugs in you could also replace it with one with a line hum choke.
I think you are on the right track wit hthe capacitors ... but not the resistors.

Also, have you tidied up the power cables near the sub ... to minimise power line hum from other devices ... move the power cables.

If it has a power cable that pugs in you could also replace it with one with a line hum choke.

Solution
Dec 23, 2018
Thank you Reynod! :)

I'll try your way with the power cable, although the humming itself comes from the audio input. I'll try to explain it. If I turn on the subwoofer and turn up the volume to max there is no humming at all, and if I play some music in middle volume it works perfect, until the song get's to the point where there's a lot of bass, then the subwoofer stucks on that tone and keeps humming very load until I turn it off. It seems that somehow the sub's amplifier itself produces this loud tone like some sort of 'bug', it's really weird... I'll try to experiment more and see what happens...

Thank you very much for your reply! :)

Best,
John