Subwoofer and AMP help?

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Hi there,
So im going to connect my subwoofer and AMP to the computer using a car battery. I dont have the wiring kit so need to know which wiring kit too buy.. All I know is what I should look at when buying the wires is how much gauge they have.. theres 4guage.. 8guage..10 guage but I dont know which one I need. What do I look at on my AMP or subwoofer to know which one I need?? The AMP and Subwoofer are in the garage.. cannot remember a thing about them.

The wires also say how much watt they are, is this important? Or do I just have to pay attention to the guage?? Could you also tell me what other wires I may need? The ones in my mind are red wire, black wire and remote wire. Already have the RCA wire. What about the subwoofer,will I have to buy the wire for it seperately?
Thank You, Any help is appreciated.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
You realise that unless you keep the battery charge all the time, it will probably drop below a voltage threshold for the amp and send it in to protect mode. Wouldn't you rather get a normal household amp than have to constantly charge a battery?

Anyway it will tell you what cable in the manual, but if you don't have it; what fuses are in the amp?

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Hi,
What do you mean by a household amp?? .. All I have on me is a computer PSU and the car battery. I didnt know I would need to constantly charge th battery so do you think using a computer PSU is a better idea?? And about the wires.. I will have to find the AMP before I know what fuses it has in it. Should look for it today :)

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Err, by 'household amp' I meant a normal everyday stereo amplifier and/or monoblock amplifier since we're talking about a subwoofer. This is based on the assumption that since you are using a car battery and talking about wiring kits I assumed you were talking about using a car amplifer.

I'm a little lost when you say you didn't know you would have to charge the car battery? It's a battery and it will run out if you keep using it - how did you plan on charging it anyway? A computer PSU could not be a safe permanent solution. To charge a car battery properly you need to be able to limit the current it is using based on the amount of charge it has; that's the entire point of battery chargers existing. If you have a flat battery in a car, you can charge it with a computer PSU in a pinch to get the car running again, but it shouldn't be a permanent feature like you're talking because there is nothing to stop overcharging and - depending on the quality of the battery - release of gasses and/or exlosion.

I'd say you should just try and plug the PSU straight on to the amplifier and see how it runs - it will run fine off 12v probably, but depending on the PSU it may not go as loud as you want. Try it and see rather than the car battery idea.

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

First sorry for the delay, My computer hasn't been working. About the battery, I thought ones I charge the battery to its maximum, I would be able to use the battery without having the charger plugged in and ones the battery runs out it shuts the AMP etc of as well.

I was going to use a PC PSU however I realised the +12V rail says 20A however their are 2 fuses on the AMP which say 20A on each one? Does this mean the AMP is 20A or 40A? If it is 40A no way will a 20A PSU run the AMP so my best bet is to use the car battery instead.