Suddenly, downloads are corrupted

Kged

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
In the last 10 days or so, for no reason I can think of, I've been having download problems. Any podcast or music I download comes out corrupted, i.e. choppy like a scratched CD. This happens no matter which of various sites I'm downloading from, so it's not a problem with any one site, and these are respectable long-established places I download from, not sketchy legal-grey-areas on the fringes of the web.

So far, I have:

- reset Firefox
- tried using a different browser
- reset my router (more than once)
- run full scans for virus, spyware, and malware infections
- run checkdisk and a memory diagnostic
- tweaked and finally uninstalled Quicktime
- tried downloading to a different destination

None of this has done the job. At the same time, Steam cannot seem to download the new Skyrim patch for me. It keeps suspending the download, and says I have a 0 bytes download rate. Speedtest.net shows my up- and download rates as being their normal selves, and Pingtest.net gave me an A grade, with 0% packet loss. I'm completely stumped, this doesn't seem to make any sense. And I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place - I don't even know if this is a hardware or software problem, God help me.

I cannot face the prospect of commuting every day without podcasts and music to get me through - please help!