Supposed to be solid laptop doesn't perform as expected

Sep 7, 2018
Hi

I bought this brand new HP Notebook 15 model bw039no

From my understanding it should be more than enough for my needs, but it can't handle even web browser (it is not my internet) without suffering great deals of lag and delay.

Laptop is constantly using high amounts of processing power (CPU usage is really high all the time).
No unnecessary startup programs, everything is up to date.

AMD A9-9420, 2 cores, 3GHz
AMD Radeon R5, integrated
8GB of DDR4 RAM
256 Gt SSD

Solution
A format and reload will likely fix it, it just won't tell you what caused it to begin with. (If this occurs again, are you going to reinstall Windows every time?) If it does work, it will, at least, rule out hardware as the issue.
Sep 7, 2018

shouldn't I be able to see and know if it's updating?

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
i make a boot usb, and boot to it, and then delete all partitions on the windows drive and fresh install. the crapware they install on hp boxes is a joke plus a 5400 rpm drive to boot. LOL, not usable indeed--unless you fresh install bare windows 10, and then your programs.

If you don't wat to do an fresh reinstall, then uninstall McCaffee first off, or you will go nowhere, or Norton, whichever abomination it ships with. uninstall. Then remove any software you don't need.

Sep 7, 2018
Well then it sure as hell isn't updating anything...

And I've removed all apps and stuff, which aren't needed, like McAfee and all the crap games.

I have no idea what's wrong with it.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
i recommended a CLEAN install on the SSD before and i will do it again. I had to do it to my HP Notebook too. now it screams. I can even play older games on it but I don't

use Microsoft's Windows Media Creation tool and an 8GB USB, boot, delete ALL partitions on SSD and let windows install handle it. Your key is burned into your BIOS so once installed you will be all activated.

Sep 7, 2018

nope, nothing specific. But when I start any app or program it jumps up to new dimensions. Simply loading anything (example: opening task manager, browser) means huge lag.

I would look into the power plan settings in Windows, maybe even check out the temperatures with third party software (something like HWMonitor or HWiNFO64).

Last resort would be to do a fresh install of Windows (assuming you're using the OEM factory install). Even after removing the bloatware on those installs, you sometimes are left with unnecessary residual data - though it seems unlikely that would cause a huge slowdown.

Sep 7, 2018

Don't know what exactly to do with power plan settings, but I checked out my latop temperature and it's around 45 celsius without anything running and running it goes up high 50's to 60's. *probably even higher, didn't check it that thoroughly.

For starters, you want to make sure that the CPU cooling policy is set to "Active" and not "Passive" in the Advanced options. It's worth using the "Performance" plan, too, to avoid devices being put into low power states or suspended.

Your temps look good. As long as your SSD isn't nearly full, your memory isn't being used up, I don't see any good reason why the performance is as bad as you say. AMD doesn't have most efficient CPU on the market, but still.