Surface Books are expensive but do they beat HP Spectre's?

davisjack

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014
For the longest I would not dare spend over $1000 for a laptop. I feel like they get slow and unusable after a few years but after seeing my brother use his standard MBP from 2012 (and its still going strong) I feel it time to try them out. My absolute budget is $1500. I love the Surfacebook for its looks and build quality but am a little nervous about the core i5 vs the i7 in the HP spectre. I can get a the base SB for under $1500. I plan on using it for school, FL Studio, some drawing and light animation, as well as AutoCad work. Which would you say is the go to?

Solution
Spectre has a 1080p screen the SB has a 3000x2000 screen that is 100% sRGB calibrated, which is important if color accuracy is required for your work.

Frankly the big price difference between the two is entirely in the screen. The SB screen is way better and expensive plus it fully detaches and can operate as just a tablet for a few hours.

I think ultimately the question for you is how important is it to you to be able to draw directly on the screen?

You might also look at the Lenovo Yoga 910 lineup. I'm seeing a 4k screen + i7 for $1,280 right now.

davisjack

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

Is it a large margin is benefit or not really? Id rather pay more for quality than less for a bad build.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Spectre has a 1080p screen the SB has a 3000x2000 screen that is 100% sRGB calibrated, which is important if color accuracy is required for your work.

Frankly the big price difference between the two is entirely in the screen. The SB screen is way better and expensive plus it fully detaches and can operate as just a tablet for a few hours.

I think ultimately the question for you is how important is it to you to be able to draw directly on the screen?

You might also look at the Lenovo Yoga 910 lineup. I'm seeing a 4k screen + i7 for $1,280 right now.

Solution

davisjack

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

Drawing on the screen is pretty important. For Cad purpose and animation.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
you might also look at the Surface Pro 4 just remember to included a type cover $130, though if your into the NFL looks like you can get a team logo one for $60 right now.

I know there is another 2-1 from someone else (probably Dell) that is supposed to be pretty good too.