Surface Pro 3 or Other Laptops?

Schwartzshack

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hello,

I am looking for a laptop for a friend. I recommended the Surface Pro 3 for its mobility in laptop/tablet function.

He is a college student and will be doing online classes, along with his hobbies as an artist like photoshop. He doesn't have room for a desktop so mobility, and room is needed.

Companies like ASUS, Lanova, and Apple are great brands, but what do you guys think? Any Suggestions?

On a side note, I asked my friend if he had a price range, his answer was < He was looking for functionality>

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
so does that mean he is willing to spend a lot because the surface pro 3 is not good for photoshop due to its lack of a gpu? and we really do need price range as i know good laptop around $900-1000 that work and ones that work even beter and cost $2000+

Jake Jasinski

Estimable
May 25, 2014
I am typing this response from a surface pro 3. It was definitely a good buy, and I couldn't love it more. It's mobility and ease of use really makes it worth the money. The duality of the tablet/laptop functions is really underlined in Windows 8. For all those who dislike it on a desktop, on the surface pro 3 it really shines. When you want to use your computer for casual internet browsing or to play a game of solitaire, or even to watch some Netflix, the metro Start screen works great with the touchscreen to provide simple and intuitive access to all your important uses. When you need to get work done, transforming the surface into a laptop (with the desktop screen) is simple and convenient. Paired with the type cover and a wireless mouse, the surface is just as good as any other laptop. I will be using my surface to do computer science homework at college this coming year. Lastly, OneNote (Microsoft Office's note taking software) is fantastic. Using the provided surface pen, you can use your surface as a note taking device and the notes you take on the surface will be saved for you to reorganize. The way that OneNote can help you arrange your notes is really breathtaking and easy to pick up. Lastly, if your friend is an artist, he would love the drawing/painting app provided with the surface (Fresh Paint). Look it up. It uses the surface pen to allow people to "paint" or "draw" on the screen using a variety of simulated mediums such as acrylic and watercolor. My sister is an art major and I couldn't tear her away from it.

TLDR: The surface's laptop/tablet functions fit the many needs of a college student. It's mobility and small size make it even more appealing. And OneNote is a godsend to students for note taking. Basically, if he's willing to drop the money, the surface is a tablet/laptop which will not disappoint.

Mike Zwarich

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
I would say it depends on what your friend wants.

1. If he values portability over power, I would narrow the range down to ultrabooks, the SP3, or a MacBook Air.

2. If he values gaming power or high-process work over portability, I would eliminate all three of the above options, and go with some 15-17" powerhouse. Just be sure to get him something that can last through his classday - he doesn't want to be the guy whose power cord everybody is tripping on.

Once that is determined, I'd look at price. Is he willing to pay more for a slimmer, lighter laptop, or will "good enough" be good enough?

The Surface Pro 3 (I have the 8GB i5 version) is an excellent machine, but you're paying a premium for the thinness and extra features.

For me, the end goal would be to buy the least expensive laptop that does everything he wants. If the touch screen and mobility and pen support are important to him, the SP3 is quite likely the best choice on the market for him. If he doesn't care about those, perhaps a less expensive laptop will be better for him.