Solved! Surface Pro 4 Camera Problems

Jan 25, 2019
Hi all, I am currently experienceing some problems with my Surface pro 4 and can't work out how to resolve them. 1st off, im not sure whether the problem is a software or hardware fault. my current investigation is leading me to think it's software or possible firmware.

Issues: on first boot, the camera application opens fine and the camera's face tracking works etc. However when I either take a photo or click the switch to rear camera option it crashes.
when taking a picture nothing happens and then a delayed Message pops up saying:

"something went wrong try restarting your device if you need it here's an error code:0xA00F4292<PhotoCaptureStartTimeout>"

when I click okay nothing happens.

-I've checked privacy options on the camera and everything is on.

-Uninstalled the hardware and then scanned for new hardware.

-Ammended the regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

-I'm currently under going a lengthy process of windows updates hoping it will resolve, however I dont hold much hope as I believe the updates have caused the issues.

Any suggestions.?????????????

Solution
Sounds like it may be an error in the registry. Which can be caused by updates as you were thinking. However, messing with the registry is not a wise thing to do. I would suggest starting with trying to run a system repair and see if this resolves it.

You can try directly in Windows, there are many programs for repairing, or you can try doing a system wide one using the following... Just stay clear of registry cleaners. They can be really dangerous.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want...
Sounds like it may be an error in the registry. Which can be caused by updates as you were thinking. However, messing with the registry is not a wise thing to do. I would suggest starting with trying to run a system repair and see if this resolves it.

You can try directly in Windows, there are many programs for repairing, or you can try doing a system wide one using the following... Just stay clear of registry cleaners. They can be really dangerous.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Solution
Jan 25, 2019

Thank you I will give it a go.
I never knew windows 10 could do this, been using windows 7 for too long i think.