Surround Sound Deal from Newegg worth it??

moltar512

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Solution

compulsive obsessive, if it sounds too good to be true...

compulsive obsessive, if it sounds too good to be true...

Solution
amazon sells the same system for $474. but if they are giving you an onkyo free, is it a NEW one, or a returned one? One may wonder why they are so desperate to sell it? Probably cause no one wants to buy it. Now klipsch really is a good brand, but is that what you really want? I won't even consider a subwoofer unless it's 15". Little subs don't have much bass, after all. If the front side rear is not at least a 10" woofer, It wont sound like much. And you might as well buy 3 sets of powered computer speakers, cause that's about what you are getting for $599.

The tendency of reducing midrange speaker size, and hyping the price up at the same time is disheartening. That size speaker can certainly not perform below 1500 cps efficiently, although it starts to make a good tweeter up to about 12,000 cps. So really in that type of design there is no appreciable midrange. Not anything that you could call flat reproduction anyway. It really doesn't sound much better than the average $70 computer speakers.
The trend to put $10 speakers in plastic cabinets and charge $600 for them is depressing to real hi fi. I can find better sounding speakers to build a surround system at garage sales.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
you never know the excursion may be relaly good on the 2.5s you cant decide on jsut the driver size

did yuou know that the harmon kardon GLA-55 speakers midrange cone has an excursion of 1inches? (peak to peak) and its only 3inches.

the klipsch may have similar properties.

oh yes, it has a cone excursion of 1 inch, then the cone rips out and flies to Jupiter. The material? recycled soda cans.
Give me a break, a 2-3 inch speaker was not designed to reproduce midrange, but I suppose that will vary according to your definition of midrange. It was designed to make sound, yes. It was designed to cost the manufacturer as little as possible, and to be sold at the highest possible price, that's all. If they really sound so good, why don't they use a 2-1/2 inch woofer in a klipsch horn? Because the frequencies are not there. That's all.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
1 inch excursion...maybe if it was de-coupled with a phase plug. A lot of subwoofers would fail with that much excursion...

Soundguruman, I think you mean as a woofer. A 2 or 3" driver is the perfect size for the midrange in a 3-way system. It's running everything below the midrange (500hz and below) that's the problem. In a typical loudspeaker (a 2-way), a small driver like that is overly taxed.

music_frequency_chart.jpg

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
its true that it has got i inch excursion, i have no proof ont he net, since i only read it on the news articel advert, anyways theres actually some vids on utube, and ou can see surprisingly lot of excursion even at moderate volumes.

and im sure a lot of subwoofer would succeed over 1 inch excursion, it would be a fail sub if it cant even excurse over 1 inch....

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
anyways heres one ive found jsut now : http://news.inventhelp.com/Articles/Electronics/Inventions/GLA55-12400.aspx

"The Atlas AL woofers peak-to-peak excursion of almost an inch means that these little gems can push out an impressive deep, bass sound."

the JBL pc speakers that has atlas drivers and magnum woofers also share similar properties, JBL creature 2 has a very high excursion on its sattelites, at loud volume.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

since when did i say that the kplisch had a 1 inch excursion. i was on about HK GLA-55...

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Looks like a lifestyle product to me. Dell sold a $2,500 22" TN panel with glass enclosure, while they were selling simultaneously selling a $250 22" S-IPS monitor.

Anyway, Harman is known to be a little liberal about specs. Their stuff never seems to measure in the lab as well as they claim.

and im sure a lot of subwoofer would succeed over 1 inch excursion, it would be a fail sub if it cant even excuse over 1 inch....

Some can and some can't. The big SPL subs are made to produce large SPLs without heavy excursion. A driver that has to do large amounts of end-to-end excursion is in a system that has serious design compromises. The sub I have next to my computer has a max excursion of 1.4" before the suspension system starts to take heavy damage, and the attached servo feedback system won't be able to handle that much stress. The driver alone weighs over 50lbs, and is capable of 10hz down at -10db, and is a flat 12-109Hz +/- 2db.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
well for a small sub to produce large SPL, it must have big excursion, or else you jsut cant move enough air, to produce a 'big' sound.

excursion can be reduced as the drivers gets bigger, cos its moving a lot of air anyway.