Solved! surround sound problem

Apr 19, 2018
Hello all .
I have an RCA SL65A55 65 "LED LCD TV 1080p, and an RCA RTD3130 combo surround/dvd/receiver. And i have cable as my TV supplier. I can only get surround sound if i run RCA jacks from the cable box to the surround sound system.Then I only get whats coming thru the cable box. I have Tried wiring it every other way possible with RCA jacks but nothing. The cable box,surround sound and my PS3 are all connected to the TV with HDMI cables. I thought that the audio would come thru the HDMI but I guess not. The receiver and the TV have Optical ports But with my limited knowledge I have no idea what they are for. my end goal is to have the TV/PS3/DVD an Receiver all puting out surround sound. CAN ANYONE HELP?

Solution
If both the TV and the HTS supported HDMI-ARC that one connection would be for disc playback and to get audio from the TV to the HTS. I don't think your gear has this though.
The TV has optical audio output. It may need to be turned on, the TV speakers turned off, and the audio output type changed in the TV menu.
Using a toslink optical digital audio cable connect the TV to the HTS optical audio input. Select that input as your source for sound from the cable box or PS3. You should no longer need the direct connection from the cable box.
If both the TV and the HTS supported HDMI-ARC that one connection would be for disc playback and to get audio from the TV to the HTS. I don't think your gear has this though.
The TV has optical audio output. It may need to be turned on, the TV speakers turned off, and the audio output type changed in the TV menu.
Using a toslink optical digital audio cable connect the TV to the HTS optical audio input. Select that input as your source for sound from the cable box or PS3. You should no longer need the direct connection from the cable box.

Solution
Apr 19, 2018
Thank you for your reply
The TV has the optical out and the surround sound has the optical in. If I am reading you correctly I just install the opt. cable change those settings on TV and surround system. Then everything the TV puts out will go through and play through the surrounds sound system?? Oh and I need to change the settings on the PS3.