Surround sound rear speakers not playing through laptop

Gman1989

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
No audio from rear surround speakers (5.1 system). My laptop (audio source) is connected to my TV via HDMI. My TV is connected to my brand new receiver via optical (only audio- video is not connected). I think my computer has an integrated sound card with Realtek HD Audio. I'm testing out my new speaker system on VLC player with surround sound testing audio from legit source. Please help me along!

Regards,
Gareth

Your TV may be set to output stereo over the optical audio output.
Check the TV audio menu. Change the output type.
If there is no adjustment on the TV you will need to get the audio from the PC. If you don't have optical out you could get an audio extractor to get it off the HDMI output.

First of all you have to configure windows to output audio via HDMI

Secondly your laptop will only output surround sound if the source is 5.1. If you are listening to music or watching a youtube video you wont get surround sound, only if you are playing a move or other file with actual surround sound data to it.

Gman1989

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
The file(s) I am using have the surround sound data. I'm not sure about the configuring audio output part. Would you please explain how to do that?

Your TV may be set to output stereo over the optical audio output.
Check the TV audio menu. Change the output type.
If there is no adjustment on the TV you will need to get the audio from the PC. If you don't have optical out you could get an audio extractor to get it off the HDMI output.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Parsa_kh Audio 3
A Audio 1
sirphi Audio 10
B Audio 0
G Audio 2
C Audio 3
HoomanSacrifice Audio 12
B Audio 5
B Audio 1
R Audio 4
LostWorm Audio 1