Solved! Surround sound w/firestick?

Oct 21, 2018
How do I get my firestick to play through my surround sound speakers?

To start my TV is newer it's an LG with multiple HDMI connections USB Etc... I have an older Samsung surround system model HT-650W with only one hdmi connection slot.

I bought an HDMI switcher from Phillips that is supposed to work for both audio/ video (it has 4 extra hdmi input slots, 3 on the back & 1 in front. Also has an output slot on the back)

so I guess my question is where do I put each cord and where do I put the fire stick? I have 2 HDMI-HDMI cables and my firestick as well as extension cord for the firestick.

Or is this Samsung model too old to support this?

After that is all connected the correct way do I use my original TV remote to get to the firestick through using the input menu or do I use the remote that came for the surround system? the only input options it has on its functions are DVD/CD,aux 1, aux 2 ,USB, and FM radio and something for ipod

Solution
Your Samsung HT does not have any HDMI inputs, so you're forced to have the 'stick into the TV. Plut HT HDMI output into another TV Input, and use TV' source selector.

If your TV has Optical Audio Out, you can use it to feed the sound from TV (and the 'stick) to the HT.
Another option would be to use HDMI audio extractor, plugged between the stick and the TV, with audio output going into the HT.

And this HDMI Switcher - unless you have any other HDMI device, you won't need it (I suppose your TV has more than two HDMI inputs), unless you use the HDMI audio extractor.
Your Samsung HT does not have any HDMI inputs, so you're forced to have the 'stick into the TV. Plut HT HDMI output into another TV Input, and use TV' source selector.

If your TV has Optical Audio Out, you can use it to feed the sound from TV (and the 'stick) to the HT.
Another option would be to use HDMI audio extractor, plugged between the stick and the TV, with audio output going into the HT.

And this HDMI Switcher - unless you have any other HDMI device, you won't need it (I suppose your TV has more than two HDMI inputs), unless you use the HDMI audio extractor.

Solution