Survey: 9 Percent Ditched PSN to Switch to XBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I would have switched if PSN was something I had to pay for. But, since it's for free, I don't see a reason why.

it's like sunlight- it's for free, but not always available. Of course, you can go to a tanning salon and have your fix there, but that costs money.
I am not saying that it's acceptable that the PSN got hacked, I'm saying that people shouldn't be pissed if it wasn't for the info that got leaked.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sony is trustworthy especially with the way they handled this. They tried to protect the users after the hack, but it seems someone knew exactly how to get through any security they had. I'm sure once they upgrade, they will make sure they don't get hacked like this again.

At least they're giving something to try to make up for all of this.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I trust Sony to enjoy keeping their share holders happy with continued revenue. If they want to continue doing that they've got a lot of damage control to perform on public relations, security... I think the question on the minds of the informed is 'are they finally intelligent enough to now make better decisions?'. Right now, their recent track record in the public eye is abysmal. I don't own any Sony products and never heavily used my PSN account when I had a PS3. I think this is all fascinating. Sony may be at a milestone in these events when they finally issue a deserved public apology and admission of liability. At that time if they say anything that could incite the hacking community further then this will continue drag on. So ... here's to hoping for a continued show of arrogance and short sighted stupidity on the part of Sony.

Note; I'm not some anarchist by any means. I don't look at the news and laugh at flood victims... well except when a local north-west reporter interviews some seventy-five year old flood victim living in some hundred year flood plane for the last fifty years who's been flooded for the third time and then the camera pans out to show he's got lots of neighbors, hey... that's comedy. But seriously. Another poster in another forum said it best about Sony and such things - "Sometimes we need to get burned in order to realize the stove is hot to touch...
" - freeagle, DT Forums. Everything I've done with Xbox Live is done by way of those code cards you can get at the store. I mean, how can you really feel safe handing your credit card # to a gaming console. That's getting lazy with your security at a personal level. At least do the online equivalent of rubbering up by using a prepaid card.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
"9 Percent Ditched PSN to Switch to XBL"... It was Microsoft that did the attack and there plan worked out well.. just joking.

With 3.2 Billion in losses last year and a bunch of money and customers lost because of the breach could the PS3 be there last console? Actually could this be the beginning of the end of Sony itself?

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Sony is trustworthy especially with the way they handled this. [/citation]

REALLY?! o_O What planet am I from and its consumer then that I find it messed up to be let know that my Credit Card and the rest info are stolen? How come and i wanted to bust that dude's face open from Sony for saying "You didnt like my one week delay? Others might have taken longer!"? Who was going to pay for any damages ( thankfully none ) when I know that law here in greece wont help me get my money back? You? Or Sony? Or you?

Do yourself a favor and gain some selfrespect and opinion of yourself. Thats all it takes to gain some perspective.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I really can't complain when it's free, right? I mean, if I have to pay for it then there is a level of expectation.

But then again, I do not play online or I have not stored my credit card information in the PSN so this really does not affect me.

G

When PSN Store comes back up they're giving us two free games because of the hack.At least they care about us.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I'm sorry but it's stupid that people choose a console system because of a security flaw. MSFT are also vulnerable to such security flaws.
Of course the best platform is PC, but I don't see any reason why one should switch from PS3 to Xbox (I'm not saying either is a better platform)

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
What is sad is that people still believe in the ps3.. hwo many times have they been hacked? 3 times? Let's be serious, anyone who knows ANYTHING about losing/stolen debit card is in denial of this. I dont give a crap whether sony offered identity protection, what? for only one year? YAYYYY WE'RE SAFE. XBL - has been hacked before, but no where near the extent of Sony. MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS had their information STOLEN. Get that through your thick heads. I was a Sony PS3 user well before this hack, after 2 dead blu-ray drives and 2 refurbished ps3's sent back to me. I hope sony's revenue hurts...

soetsout

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
i would never leave my details with a company like sony, they tend to piss off the hacker community and thats just plain stupid, and will most likely cost me my personal information in the future then.

sorry but il rather pay for xbox and know they gona leave the hackers alone, then play a free service but know my details are most likely gona get stolen cuz some idiot ceo decided to target hackers.... as if governments tried and failed. what makes sony think they will get more then the government?

G

I'm not going to switch, because I recently switched from PC to PS3 (witch i shoudln't have done). I'm still asking myself how is it possible that a multy billion dollar corporation like Sony made so many mistakes in secureing one of the largest game networks in the world. I hope steam is better secured then psn. But we will never know about that one.

I hope sony learned from their mistakes, and made my personal data more secure (hashed, with salts etc etc) ....

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I use a prepaid card for online purchases. When I want something or pay a bill, I put money on it and pay shortly after. Unless someone is extremely lucky, they couldn't steal more than $5 from me most of the time. I also works for sites that make it difficult to cancel subscriptions, I just get a new card and they're sol.

think outside the box for a minute people. sony did not purposefully leak customer info, they were hacked. i agree that they made some errors when it came to security but the blame is not on them. if you truley want to "beat someones face in" like one of you said, look to the real perpetrators.

i've never used PSN since we don't have a connection for it so i'm not sure how the whole "store" thing works but quite many services allow you to store your credit card information online and link it to your account for "one click purchasing". any time you do this is a HUGE risk. if you absolutely must use such a service after making a purchase remove your card information from your account.

smoothsmith

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Oh no, my name and address was stolen, i'm so upset!

Nah I don't actually care, there's nothing they can do with it. Back to enjoying my free service :)

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Sony has poor corporate policies when it comes to dealing with the public. They've repeatedly angered customers and the populace as a whole with the strong arm tactics. As a result there has been a backlash that has crippled the company and exposed their customers. Until they change the way they treat their customers and people in general, I don't think it's safe to do business with them. I'm also sure this isn't the end since it's still business as usual for Sony.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mBull[/nom]I'm not going to switch, because I recently switched from PC to PS3 (witch i shoudln't have done). I'm still asking myself how is it possible that a multy billion dollar corporation like Sony made so many mistakes in secureing one of the largest game networks in the world. I hope steam is better secured then psn. But we will never know about that one.I hope sony learned from their mistakes, and made my personal data more secure (hashed, with salts etc etc) ....[/citation]

heres hoping for a steam hack, would love some free games from that.

realistically, watch the 22 min long pac attack on game trailers, it will give you some more real world prospective on what the psn hack could mean for you, at least living in America, and many developed countries.

and also, read up on this information. many banks in america only look up the social security number to check credit, because getting any more info from that costs money. its how the really bad identity theft happens, you know, the kind that people dumpster dive hospitals do.

psn had a credit card number, and if anyone uses it, i dont have to pay for s@#$ and get a new one.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The fanboiz don't seem mind any issues what ever as long as the shepard claims they done everything right and it seems to be the same no matter the brand. If i had a PS3 and had my account information stolen due to a non-patched known security flaw in a server i would have lost confidence in the companys ability to handle my information with care yet 57% seem to think it was OK that the company didn't protect their information properly. What have happened to the modern world, is carelessness ok for corporations?

Status
Not open for further replies.