Survey: One-Third of Broadband Users Pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
why would i pirate a movie film that is so slow to download, it takes me two days to download a 2gb file, the cost of electricity for that two days would be equal to the amount i will be paying for buying a dvd disk on the sidestreet, its such a waste of time.

G

@ tonitelaoag you are a cheap freak bastard... move to a better isp and don't complain of your stupidity

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
sounds like tripe to justify a foot hold to take legal action against individuals. i can take my own survey and have a target audience to reflect no pirating occurs. the numbers are as sound as the method for obtaining them which we know is very subjective.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
One-third of of broadband users pirate? I bet it's even more than that. And you know why?

Because the industry is still living in the 1970's. They should stop being so greedy, trying to make billions of dollars by force.

If I come home late one evening and I realize I just missed an episode of Lost on TV, of course I will download it - it was just on TV.

G

Screw movie industry. Its an industry that doesn't do much nowadays anyways. If movies just fell off the face of the Earth people would just go "Alright, I'll just socialize another way". Seriously, all they are making right now are sequels and barely anything watchable. Yeah, creative arts are great but movies..no, they are past their prime.

G

I'm willing to bet that most of those surveyed don't know the difference between a legal download and an illegal download. The media has twisted things so many times that the average user thinks that any downloaded or copied media is illegal.

G

Hey, did anybody see the tracker map? Interesting to know if the Pope knows he's harboring a pirate?
Anyhow - the only info you get from these statistics is that from 19000 active connections at the moment the most are from China. But this does not take into account all the other trackers people use and all the local file-sharing services offered by ISP and local trackers.
I wouldn't be amazed to see statistics as high as 75% of people using computers having pirated something from the net in their lifetime.
Where I come from that number would be more or less 99.99%.
RESPECT

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
You must be an absolute fool to think that pirating, aka stealing, doesn't affect the quality and quantity of the product. It is so basic, I feel dumb explaining it. If you take a product without paying for it, what insentive does someone have to produce it. It baffles me that so many people feel entitled to movies, music and software.

I wish they would start prosecuting people. Pirates are ruining our entertainment.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]. . .I'd first like to see the area and method of choice of these subscribers, and I also want to see how they came to the conclusion that their demographic can take the place of "all broadband Internet subscribers worldwide." The entire survey seems baseless. Yawn.[/citation]

I'm with you on this one, but you have to understand that there is a large portion of the population and the media that is statistically illiterate. There is also a large portion that is statistically literate and dismiss headlines like these after scanning the article.

Face it, overgeneralization gets readers. People don't want truth, they just want their perceptions confirmed and validated.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rickpatbrown[/nom]You must be an absolute fool to think that pirating, aka stealing, doesn't affect the quality and quantity of the product. It is so basic, I feel dumb explaining it. If you take a product without paying for it, what insentive does someone have to produce it.[/citation]
They've already produced it. It's not like shoplifting, where a factory has paid money to press a disc, then paid money to manufacture a case, and paid money to print paper booklets on glossy paper, then paid money to wrap it in cellophane. Then a stores pays for the product.

Pirates do hurt the industry, but in a much less severe way than the industry makes it out to be.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]rickpatbrown[/nom]You must be an absolute fool to think that pirating, aka stealing, doesn't affect the quality and quantity of the product. It is so basic, I feel dumb explaining it. If you take a product without paying for it, what insentive does someone have to produce it. It baffles me that so many people feel entitled to movies, music and software.I wish they would start prosecuting people. Pirates are ruining our entertainment.[/citation]

Quite a large difference from stealing a digital copy and stealing a manufactured copy. One of the copies didn't have to be manufactured and shipped.

I wish the media industry would stop trying to shove $15 albums down my throat that should cost $5 and $20 movies that should cost $5 - $10. I also wish that movie producers would quit trying to charge me equal amounts for in-store copies as they do for digital copies because one of the two CLEARLY generates more profit for them.

It's great that you feel great purchasing overpriced products that aren't returnable but I, and many others, have grown sick and tired of paying double or triple for a movie/CD than what we should be paying.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
If I miss an episode of a show online or want to see an old season of something that doesn't air on TV anymore I'll find a way to watch it. That simple. I'm not going to blockbuster to rent a reason for 7 dollars for seven days..That's retarded. My entire week cannot be centered around that show. I have a life. Pirated media allows convenience whereas crappy rentals don't. Unfortunatley Blu Rays are so massive in size I'm forced to rent those... =[ They're over $5 a rent.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I think that most pirates have been 'created' by the movie/media industry themselves. I'd have no problem paying for the product they produced (at reasonable prices), but so often paying $15-30 for a tv/movie/cd produces inferior results than downloading a high-quality version 'illegally'. When I can download a movie in HD, and put it on any machine I want, in any format I want, then I'll pay the $20 or so for the movie (although being digital it really should be cheaper).

The other thing to realize is lack of availability. If someone outside of the US wants to watch a Hollywood movie, often times they must wait months before it is released in their country and even an official release could be a of dubious quality. I wish the movie industry would realize the potential of a WORLD wide web, rather than dismissing the internet as a threat. They could sell to more people a highly versatile, more compelling product.

/my2cents

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I dont see how donwloading a TV show is pirating. I could very well just record it on my PVR or use the HD capture card on my HTPC.

I think the term "piracy" needs to be looked at, and the approach to countering it needs to change. You can't stop the masses from doing what they want. Trying to arrest, charge and sue people who download things will never deter people from downloading things illegally because too many people are doing it. As a matter of fact, persecuting a random person for downloading and sharing 10 songs just gives ammunition for the pirates to load their cannons with. It just makes all of us, pirates and non alike, hate the guts of every organization involved in the process.

What you should be doing is stop the few individuals who are bypassing copy protection schemes, breaking encryption, and cracking executables.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
2/3 of the users who do not pirate don't know how to, or better yet, do not know they are and claim they are not. EVERYONE Pirates! ARRRRRG!!! Blast Yee Scurvy Dog!

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Again the only real way to stop piracy is for the industry to embrace it. If this many broadband users are pirating, then release pure digital copies into the wild to be seeders for your own network. Sell the media to those that will buy it, but let the people that don't want to buy it provide the bandwidth to the people that do.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I wish the media industry would stop trying to shove $15 albums down my throat that should cost $5 and $20 movies that should cost $5 - $10.[/citation]

Actually, beyond the initial payment for the Content (making the music or movie), it costs less than a Cent to press a disc, and the whole manufacturing process is about 1$. We are getting rammed.

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
if a movie is worth it and available even the pirates will pay to watch it. Problem is most of them aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.