Suspected wireless hotspot scam. Was I overreacting?

Migwans

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
Last night I was posting photos at a music venue when I noticed it suddenly connect to a hotspot. I checked to find a new unsecured hotspot had just popped up, so the phone connected by default. I immediately went to 4g and had my friend do it too as she was running Credit cards on her phone. Was I correct to be cautious?

Mar 30, 2015
It was likely it was some sort of attempt at a man in the middle attack. It might have been benign but you should still not use WiFi hotspots if they are at least not secured with WPA2, and staying away from public WiFi in general. Try to see if you can disable automatic connections to WiFi hotspots. It isn't a good feature.

ficler1977

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Yes so public wifi(hotspots) are "good" for browsing the internet for the news/ youtube video etc.
Do never try to log onto Your bank account/paypal/ebay.
Yes encrypted connections (ssl) are securing You but... are Yo usure You are tyoing your username and password to genuine not faked website? yest yo uwill not log on but You have just sent Your login and password to somebody who bought ssl certificate and who copy/pasted lets say ebays front page.