Svchost.exe eating almost 50% of my CPU.

JP7PlaysMC

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hello forum!

After messing about with some downloads a weird thing started to happen with a particular svchost.exe, as in it started eating almost 50% of my CPU (I7 4790). When I open the task manager it has no name, so whilst other services say "Service Host [...]" this one doens't. It's also trying to access weird sites, which MalwareBytes does detect and prevent.

I'm starting to think it may be a virus, but if so it's well masked, as nor MalwareBytes nor Adw seem to detect it. Finally I must add that it's located in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory. How should I go about trying to solve this?

Any more information you need I'll gladly provide! Thanks for the help!

Solution
Safe mode, download HitmanPro, if it doesnt find, do the system restore, IF THAT Also fails to do, backup data, reinstall windows.

Also funny thing is if you open location of that folder it points out to the real svchost.exe, soo probably an process explorer might give you inside the exe (the one that is eating) where the real threat is, usually inside of %temp% folder per usual.
To note: if the threat is inside the temp folder, go to safe mode, go to temp folder and delete everything inside, and things that cannot be deleted skip, and screenshot what is left of, if still after restart happens or in safe mode same thing, Windows reinstall it is.

Also backup your data first.

And that's why you don't download "Something".
Safe mode, download HitmanPro, if it doesnt find, do the system restore, IF THAT Also fails to do, backup data, reinstall windows.

Also funny thing is if you open location of that folder it points out to the real svchost.exe, soo probably an process explorer might give you inside the exe (the one that is eating) where the real threat is, usually inside of %temp% folder per usual.
To note: if the threat is inside the temp folder, go to safe mode, go to temp folder and delete everything inside, and things that cannot be deleted skip, and screenshot what is left of, if still after restart happens or in safe mode same thing, Windows reinstall it is.

Also backup your data first.

And that's why you don't download "Something".

Solution