Question swapping ssd drives

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have a hp elitebook 745 pro5 with amd ryzen 3500u g6 i have an issues with getting a huge popup on a site i visit called nextdoor everyday and on ebay and i also have the hp ryzen3 3250u and that never gets those popups on ebay or that nextdoor forum.

right now i have both pcs running side by side and this 745 pc is getting those popups on the nextdoor site and ebay and i go to both sites with the ryzen 3250u and i d not get them. so i have something on the 745 causing this. they both run chrome so all the browser setting are the same on both pcs.

what i want to know is can i swap the ssd m.2 drives between these pc? or will i have to just reformat the 745 pc and reinstall win10 now they both run win11 but on the 745 pc when i run win10 i do not get this issue. so it must be something in win11 causing this . i even went into chromes settings and did a clean the browser settings all the way back as far as it would let me and i still get this. i asked on the win11 forum but i get one guy and he just tells me i have to live with it. i tried using ublock origin and when that finally took the popup away i can't use the pages anymore. i have ABP ublock origin and adblock for extensions and i have tried all combination's and they do not work on this 745 pc. so that is why i think i have something going on with the ssd drives. i ran the superantivirus program that win11 guy sent me and that did nothing, but now i have a new search engine that is slow called startpage.

also when i'm on that nextdoor site and try to do a reply to someone's questions for help i can start typing and i can do a complete sentence and there is noting in the field for maybe a minute and then it starts to fill. it does not do this on the ryzen 3250u pc. something is not correct on the 745 pc.

i'm kind of thinking i can't just swap the m.2 drives with out some fancy bios changes but then these hp pcs may not be able to run legacy like my older hp pc could do. but i have to ask just in case someone happens to know if it will work and how to do it. i tried asking on the hp forum but is seems i can't start a thread now on that site. i just did a format on a spare m.2 backup drive i have using win11 format and did the long format on it 2 times to make sure it is clean and i also did one with aomei 2 times for the same reason so if all else fails i will just put that drive in and redo the OS and go back to win10. i do have all my files backed up on another ssd drive. yes it is a bit of work but those popups are driving me nuts and that slow typing speed is annoying as hell. thanks for any ideas

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
oh i just looked at updates and they are not even the 745 seems to have more of them and i just did a check for updates. i have 2 feature on the 745 3 on the ryzen 10 quality on the 745 19 on the ryzen 27 drivers on the 745 and 50 on the ryzen definitions are 50 each and for other 10 on the 745 and 13 on the ryzen now this may not mean a thing but they both get update automatically and auto restart also

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
yea i kind of figured that. thanks. i think i got those pop ups figured out but i will not know for sure for a few days to see for sure. what i did find was i did not have all the boxes checked off in the ublock origin app on the 745 pc like i had on the ryzen pc as soon as i checked off the unchecked boxes that pop up went away. and so far has not returned. to test that i turned off the ublock for the nextdoor site and sure enough the pop up returned. but as i say i want to test that out for a few days just to make sure i can comment on that site with that 745 pc. thanks again.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok guys i have another question i now use an older 2.5" hd in a case for a backup and i just backup my photos downloads and docs. but i have been looking on ebay for a 1tb ssd and happened to see these drives the are calling backup drives that look like they are already in a case. so just how do those work? do you just plug them in and they have a built in program that starts an automatic type backup or are they about the same as what i use not only in a prepackaged unit? and how durable are they? i tried a new ssd in that case and it failed after one backup
thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious
ok guys i have another question i now use an older 2.5" hd in a case for a backup and i just backup my photos downloads and docs. but i have been looking on ebay for a 1tb ssd and happened to see these drives the are calling backup drives that look like they are already in a case. so just how do those work? do you just plug them in and they have a built in program that starts an automatic type backup or are they about the same as what i use not only in a prepackaged unit? and how durable are they? i tried a new ssd in that case and it failed after one backup
thanks
They can call it whatever they want. Its just a regular drive in a regular case.

Often, it will have some proprietary 'backup software'. Don't use that.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok thanks i did some YT and that is what it looks like. but what i wanted to find out is like you said they have some programs that do the backups automatically i can do them myself or use karans backup. i can get those types of drives way cheaper that i can get a stand alone drive and put it in the case i have. and some are new in the boxes. thanks much for confirming that for me