Solved! Switching between HDD and SSD

dongo10

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
Hello.

I have a laptop, the OS is Windows 10 and the drive type is HDD.
I recently bought a drive type SSD and installed Windows 10 on it.
Now, I want to try the SSD, install it on the laptop, replacing the HDD. Just to try it, not permanently.
My questions are, if I install the HDD back on the laptop, will I lose anything on it? Will there be any problems with any drivers of any kind, or RAM problems, or anything at all?
Or is it gonna be normal exactly as it was before?

Thank you.

Solution

That could be multiple things.
The physical drive
The current OS on the HDD
RAM
Something else...

New OS on a different drive (the SSD) may or may not give you an indication of the exact original issue.

USAFRet

Illustrious
It only depends on which drive you boot from. The old HDD or the new SSD.
Whichever OS will not read any drivers or anything from the other drive.

However, it is not really advisable to have two identical bootable OS's in the same system. Sometimes, it may boot from the wrong one and you do not really know it did, or why.

dongo10

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

No, I don't want to put them together on the laptop. I will remove the HDD first, put the SSD, try it for a day or so, and then I will put the HDD back.

USAFRet

Illustrious

OK.
But I'd be very surprised if you went back to the HDD.
Having an SSD as your OS drive changes your whole experience.

dongo10

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

So, I'm not gonna have the problems I mentioned in the first post? Everything will be normal exactly as it was before?

dongo10

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Most problem that bothers me is that the Disk uses 100% when I open Task Manager which causes a very slow response when I open anything. Although I only open one thing or two at a time.

USAFRet

Illustrious

That could be multiple things.
The physical drive
The current OS on the HDD
RAM
Something else...

New OS on a different drive (the SSD) may or may not give you an indication of the exact original issue.

Solution