Switching from Intel HD Graphics to AMD Radeon Graphics

SendHelp123

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi. I bought a new laptop with Intel HD 520 Graphics and AMD Radeon R7 m360 dedicated graphics. I want to know how to switch from the Integrated graphics card to the dedicated one as whenever I play a game such as Minecraft, it will always say it is running on Intel HD Graphics

I have tried:
- Using the BIOS. It doesn't let me change my actual graphics card (Only 2 options are 'Switchable Graphics' and 'UMP (or something like that) graphics' - I tried the latter out, but it didn't fix it)
- Setting Minecraft to 'High Performance' in the AMD Radeon Settings
- Changing the battery settings to run on 'Maximize Performance' while on battery and plugged in
- Installed the latest AMD Graphics Driver
- Disabled the Intel HD graphics in the device manager

Despite me trying all this and saving all the settings etc., Minecraft still says it is running on my iGPU. I have been trying to figure this out for 5 hours now, please help

SendHelp123

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Just managed to fix the issue FYI. Had to set the Java program that runs Minecraft to 'High Performance', not just the Minecraft application itself. I still would like to actually set the AMD card as a permanent, Primary GPU

SendHelp123

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

No. Nothing like that comes up

SendHelp123

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

I don't actually have the Catalyst Control Centre. When I right-click my desktop, it only comes up with 'AMD Radeon Settings'. I've looked all over the options and none of them seem to fix the problem

SendHelp123

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Just managed to fix the issue FYI. Had to set the Java program that runs Minecraft to 'High Performance', not just the Minecraft application itself. I still would like to actually set the AMD card as a permanent, Primary GPU

renz496

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Hmm probably the driver decides to put minecraft to run using because intel igpu because it might "thought" the application as a light one that using intel igp are good enough for it for saving power.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 2
E Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 6
N Laptop Tech Support 2