Symantec Ghost 11.5 hangs while creating RAID image on win2003 server

maxdrive

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
All,
I was able to create a boot disk with the Compaq array drivers included. I tried to take an image backup of my DL380 RAID5 server and for some reason, ghost would start creating the image and about 4-5mins into it, it would just hang.
I tried it 3 times now to no avail. Here's a couple of things I checked:
- I check the file name that it gets stuck on and it's not the same each time.
-It starts backing up the c/os partition first.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks.

maxdrive

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Well,
when it rains it pours. I haven't been able to take the ghost backup after multiple attempts and now my power supply fan just died on me. I restored a backup that I have from "ntbackup" onto another G3 server but it won't boot unless it's in "active directory restore mode'. I found out that the backup didn't contain the ntds.dit (active directory database). I have no idea why it didn't back it up. But I guess that's what you get with free windows backup - Lesson learned the hard way.

Now, I don't know if I should wait a couple more days until I receive the fan or just attempt to plug the hard drives from the G1 into my other G3 server. I read that it could work but I just don't want to take the risk of damaging the production disks in any way.

any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks.

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
It should work, if it's the same raid controller with the same bios. Sounds like you have the operating system on the raid5? That's a bit unusual. A raid1 for the os is way easier to handle. You could now just stick on disk into the second server without risk for the second one. And with Ghost backup, you will get a corrupt backup of your AD.