Symantec Sued Over AV Auto-Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
For some of the utilities I use I simply get messages reminding me that it is time to renew. The problem is I get too many of the exact same message for the exact same product. It is irritating.

chulak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I would never buy any of these products. Seriously the whole anti-virus for profit industry is shady.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I hate auto renewal and think they should be made illegal.

What I hate more than auto renewal though is class action lawsuites. This guy is just in to set up a class action lawsuite so that thousands of people join in and they will each get 30 dollars or so but the lawyer can get up to about 50% of the entire take which could mean millions if enough people file.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Opt In = good for the consumer
Opt Out = good for the business

Guess which one companies will choose if not regulated otherwise? (Unless, of course, customer outrage leads to a decline in profits...)

l_mckeon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I think it's disgraceful that they are allowed to STORE the customer's card details without permission. This seems to be peculiarly American idea which greatly increases the chances of the customer's details being ripped of.

In Australia on-line vendors never see the credit card details; they get shunted through to the bank's web site for processing.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Businesses have been doing this for years its called pay to play MMO's. You pay a monthly fee which is automatically charged every month for your convience which it is convient so you dont have to remeber to pay it again. Peoplejust complain because they forgot that they were going to be billed again

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm a PC Tech at a local computer repair shop and we resell Norton Antivirus. To my knowledge, as long as a Norton Account is setup, they will notify you by email and alerts that the subscription is about to expire. You have the option to renew or just let it expire. The people that have their credit cards charge automatically must have bought the product online through Symantec. This lawsuit can go either way.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]metalmania31[/nom]Good, Trend Micro Pccillin does the same crap. They need to stop doing this crap. Pisses me off.[/citation]
Strange, I have NEVER had that, they start to ask you like a few weeks before to renew. I have NEVER had it auto renew.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
BS, this hasn't happened to me and i use Symantec's products. i think you have to apply for auto renewal for it to happen. Symantec should be required to peal off the auto renew charges off the credit cards of all the people 'afflicted' and discontinue their services on said peoples computers. the $375,000 in 'damages' for charging $30 on a reasonable service is all the evidence you need to tell that she doesn't really care about the problem, just how much she can profit from it.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
I also hate auto renew. But can you imagine the lawsuits if the companies, even with notification, stopped?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
There is a reason why I always use those one time use credit card numbers (most of major credit card company have this kind of service).. so they have no way to renew anything without my approval.. unless they want to give it to me for free..;)

lol

G

I got charged by Norton as well without my acknowledgment. I want to be part of this class action law suit.

So what if I purchase Norton's product online. I pay for 1 year subscription and that is it. Who give Norton the right to charge me for the next year?

After I was charged, I went to my Norton account. the website was not helpful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.