T-Mobile Offering All Phones for Free Feb 11 & 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Look at it this way, if the pullout fee to break the contract is cheaper than the price of the phone, you can get your phone cheaper and just change the SIM to your old one!

A lot of people did that to Optus when the Galaxy S came out.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
The biggest scam in the world is actually paying for a cell phone on top of a 2 year contract. The phones cost squat to make compared to retail.

Why does an iPod cost 200 and an iPhone 600 or more (retail w/o contract)? Is there $400 more stuff in the iPhone? Same screen, same battery, same amount of memory/storage, I think same processor, just some extra electronics for 3G.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Pretty good deal there. Target is selling phones for $50 such as Galaxy-S on various networks.

- gtvr : Actually, yes - smart phones DO costs a lot to make... The $300~500 price is what it takes to pack all that tech into such a tiny device. Look at a typical $500 notebook. A smart phone does a bit more in a much much smaller package. WAN, WIFI, Phone, Computer, Video Camera, picture camera, media player, etc.

Typical MP3 players like the iPod don't have WAN or WiFI or phone electronics. iPod Touch is expensive since its basically an iPhone without the phone. Some like the iPod Touch does include WiFi so they can sell you APPs... they go for $200~400 without a contract. By Apple selling apps for the Touch, they can reduce the price a bit. An iPhone4 goes for $200~300 with a contract because the phone company (att and Verizon) are subsidizing the cost of the phone to get their service.

Go to online stores that sells unlocked phones. Until I got my recent Galaxy S, the last 2-3 phones I bought were unlocked phones, I paid $225 for a dumb SONY phone a few years ago.

The unlocked international iPhone 4 goes for $1000! Hmmm.. that $200~300 version looks much better. A Galaxy S phone is also, $500~800 - unlocked. I got mine last year for $200 - nowadays, its as low as $50 with a 2yr contract. Everyone in the USA is a 2yr deal. :(

G

cause u know, research doesn't cost the company anything......

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Why is you text gray?

Naaa... there is no such thing as research... technology just comes out of a machine... like the Dell TV shows, in which only a few guys makes thousands of computers and they can sing songs about lollypops.

G

Community,
My girlfriend bought a MyTouch 3G Slide back in August which was part of her parent's family plan. What would be the expected termination or buy out of that contract? Her phone is quite slow and it would be nice to upgrade her to a new phone.

I'm sure this question should be saved for a T-mobile rep, but if someone is in a similar situation or works for T-Mobile let me know.
As always,
Thanks

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
PSPhone is supposed to be coming to T-Mobile the 13th. If they were offering that I would definitely be dropping my current plan and rushing over there.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
What's the point in offering free phones, when there is crap 4G coverage to use it. Pretty much useless lumps of plastic to most people, espeically out in the country.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
"but for those who prefer the alternatives, this weekend is a great time to get inside a T-Mobile store."

Just because people like getting pounded by like jailbait by the red and blue guy, doesn't mean that Magenta is an alternative.....anything below the top 4 is an alternative....

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Look at it this way, if the pullout fee to break the contract is cheaper than the price of the phone, you can get your phone cheaper and just change the SIM to your old one!A lot of people did that to Optus when the Galaxy S came out.[/citation]

I did the same thing with the Samsung Galaxy S, then got a second phone free for a friend when i did the family plan. Over all the family plan was cheaper when we split up the bill.

emergancy exit

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
just went to T mobile and you have to pay the retail price after incentives up-front plus sales tax then you get all of it back in a rebate.. most phones require $200 at signing plus tax. the good news is that your phone bill does not come in for 45 days(enough time for the rebates to mail in), and i was eligible for a 100 dollar credit so if i wanted the mytouch 4g i need $123 friday morning i will get a 200 dollar rebate sometime before my phone bill comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.