T5300?

silentverdict

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I'm picking out a laptop for college, and want something that can keep me going through, and handle some nice gaming. I'm very limited by my budget (1200 is the max that i can go) so I had picked out the new Dell e1705. I upgraded the vid card to the Geforce 7900gs, since the radeon x1450 isn't anything special for gaming. Thing is, i wanted to upgrade the processor to a 5300 and thats ok, but to upgrade to the 7200 would be an extra 150, bringing me 100 bucks over my limit (normally i wouldn't care but I have to get this past the parents).

My Question is, will the t5300 processor (Core 2 duo, 1.73 ghz, 2mb Cache) slow me down in games? I really just want to avoid a bottleneck with that and the Vid card.

Thanks

No, it shouldn't be a big problem. It's a dual core based on the Core2, albeit not a great one, that should be fine for games. Bottlenecking with the CPU only tends to happen at low resolutions (1280x800 or less I believe). Stick with the the Core 2 and not the Core Duo option because by sticking with the Core2 you can always upgrade the CPU on your own if you get the money.

silentverdict

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
So i have to run things at higher resolutions to get the CPU to not work as hard? Sounds good.

Also, I thought you couldnt upgrade the CPU on a Laptop..

Nope, everything in a laptop (minus the GPU in most cases) is user upgradeable. Some things are more difficult to get to and with laptops it takes a little more finesse, but you can do it.

Even if you game at lower res' that CPU shouldn't have too much of a problem since it's a Core2. It's not the best but you can still game on it. Heck, my brother play games (C&C3 and COD2) on his Inspiron 9300 with a Pentium M and Geforce 6800.