Tablet Drop Test: iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. Galaxy Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

of all the tablets you never get to see the screen of the Ipad2 before it gets drop (yes im that skeptical)

G

of all the tablets you never get to see the screen of the Ipad2 before it gets drop (yes im that skeptical)

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
ZZZzzz, who cares. Tablets this tablets that. I have yet to see anyone carring around one of the crippled stripped down laptops with no keyboard.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
How is this a scientific and balanced test. You got the shorter Asian looking dude dropping the iPad from a shorter height, versus the taller dude that seems to be almost forcing the Samsung to the grown from a greater height, and the Xoom as well.

Epic fail!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]ZZZzzz, who cares. Tablets this tablets that. I have yet to see anyone carring around one of the crippled stripped down laptops with no keyboard.[/citation]
You must never get out.

Saars

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
not sure if anyone notices, but they dropped the ipad from penis height, and the other 2 from above the belly button.... just saying

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Watch the split screen drop at 1:28, they all appear to leave their hands and hit the ground at the same time. If the iPad was held lower it would have taken less time to fall, no?

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Even the one with the least damage is basically unusable, you're not going to seriously say that any of them was a clear winner.

The moral of this story - if you're going to buy one of these toys, don't drop it!

Saars

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Watch the split screen drop at 1:28, they all appear to leave their hands and hit the ground at the same time. If the iPad was held lower it would have taken less time to fall, no?[/citation]

it depends on the weight

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Saars[/nom]it depends on the weight[/citation]

Weight has little to do with it. It's all air resistance. Since gravity is 9.8m/s/s things in a vacuum will always accelerate at the same speed.

Hitting the ground however, does have to do with mass. Each action has an equal and opposite reaction. So if you drop a penny on the ground, it's almost like another penny hits the penny to stop it. If you punch the ground, it's like another you punching your fist just as hard.

Just a little physics to spice up everyone's day.

G

Samsung likes to use this way to advertise their product, but sorry! Their product sucks!

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Saars[/nom]it depends on the weight[/citation]

You might want to take a physics course....and pay attention.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
somehow when i make buying decisions, i don't even think about whether the thing will survive a drop test. makes sense that the lighter one gets the least damage.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I've dropped my ipad plenty of times and it never did that, to be fair though I have invisishield on it and a plastic cover. Also, never dropped it face down on the cement, but had a few good falls on the kitchen floor and thought I lost it a few times, still works fine though and still looks mint condition. So if you buy a tablet, probably best to spend 20 or 30 on a decent cover.

septagent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
[citation][nom]dhvd79a[/nom]You might want to take a physics course....and pay attention.[/citation]

Try again. Weight or mass have nothing do with how fast the device falls, but everything to do with how hard it hits when it gets to the bottom. Momentum is very dependent on mass, and momentum dictates how much the back of the device doesn't want to stop before it hits the front of the device.

All three of those tabs are made of roughly the same material (at least on the screen), but the galaxy tab has more supporting material in a smaller amount of space (it's thick). I think that's really why it cracked less. It's stronger in proportion.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]septagent[/nom]Try again. Weight or mass have nothing do with how fast the device falls, but everything to do with how hard it hits when it gets to the bottom. Momentum is very dependent on mass, and momentum dictates how much the back of the device doesn't want to stop before it hits the front of the device. All three of those tabs are made of roughly the same material (at least on the screen), but the galaxy tab has more supporting material in a smaller amount of space (it's thick). I think that's really why it cracked less. It's stronger in proportion.[/citation]

Nope, they might all fall with the same rate relatively, but they will not all fall with the same force. Therefore the force exerted on the glass will be highest in the object that has the greatest mass. F=ma , now, assuming they are all made up of the same components for the most part, unless, they are built with shock absorbers which I doubt, cause, it would have to be a much thcker device, then, the tab which had the greatest mass should have had the greatest damage, and the one with the least mass should have had the least damage. And that's exactly how this played out. I would say it's not the supporting the material, as these tabs seem to have little support at all, I would say it was the mass. Does Galaxy Tab use Guerilla glass??? This might be the case which would explain the less cracking as that glass can take up 5x more stress than regular glass of the same thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.